• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Reykjavik 30 September (1 Viewer)

I am visiting Reykjavik with my son for three days 30 Aug to 2 Sept. I am hiring a car for the three days. Two days will be doing the usual touristy things on the golden circle but we will have one day for dedicated birding.
Can anyone advise of where to incorporate some birding in the golden circle, but also where I could go on the third day for some dedicated birding?
I appreciate this is not the best time of year for Icelands specialties but your advice is welcome.
Thank you for your time and advice.

I have only been there in July, so I cant comment too well on the date. But around the golden circle we had a couple of good birds. Including Gyrfalcon in Dingvellir and Harlequin Duck at Geysir (they are on sea in september).
Near Selfoss is a river named Sog, which is maybe the best place to see Barrow's Goldeneye in SW Iceland. We have been lucky there as well in Summer. In addition to that we saw 2x Arctic fox in the area.
For Rarities I would check the Iceland Birding Page.

I have only been there in July, so I cant comment too well on the date. But around the golden circle we had a couple of good birds. Including Gyrfalcon in Dingvellir and Harlequin Duck at Geysir (they are on sea in september).
Near Selfoss is a river named Sog, which is maybe the best place to see Barrow's Goldeneye in SW Iceland. We have been lucky there as well in Summer. In addition to that we saw 2x Arctic fox in the area.
For Rarities I would check the Iceland Birding Page.
Thank you. That is really helpful.
We’re these viewing from the car? Or were you walking?

For the Harlequins we walked along the river. The other ones were from the car. Gyr is just a bit of luck I think. For the Goldeneyes all that was needed is to stop at the (I think) water power plant and take a look on the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back