• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

David Attenborough (1 Viewer)

ickle_vicki

Are my family and I the only ones who cannot stand David's narrating style? give me Oddie / King any day! He really grates on me with tone etc.

ickle_vicki said:
Are my family and I the only ones who cannot stand David's narrating style? give me Oddie / King any day! He really grates on me with tone etc.

I have to admit that I do not mind any of the wildlife presenters really but I disagree over Simon King. I am not a great fan although I would not go as far as to say I dislike him. Generally, I find Sir David's style to be much less intrusive for an on-screen presenter but I think it is too easy to forget some of the excellent off-screen narrators we have had like Andrew Sachs, Michael Praed and Simon McCorkindale. I am not a great fan of Jamie Theakston but I think he would do well with Nat Hist after his excellent workwith the Police documentaries recently. The real merit in a good narrators is that you do not attach to who is talking and see the images on sceen instead fo imgaining the presenter. Just thought of Charlotte Uhlenbroek there and had instant hot flush. ;)

Ian

Ian Peters said:
although I would not go as far as to say I dislike him.
Ian

You wouldn't dare! ;)

Gimme Simon King anyday Vicki.

I do think though that DA has a nice unobtrusive style as Ian says, and is well suited to the more serious documentaries.

Bill Oddie is great fun to watch, but his commentaries are far too bouncy for me, although my kids adore him.

I guess it's horses for courses really.

Attenborough is GOD!
The man has given up fame and fortune to pursue his interest in wildlife AND make the BEST films about it!
WEO is good fun too, but a bit of a 'Goodie' at heart still!

brianfm said:

Agreed here too.........

And I am very keen on Saba Douglas Hamilton as well, did anyone see her living in Lapland with the herdspeople and wrestling reindeer, bloody 'ell

nigelblake said:
Agreed here too.........

And I am very keen on Saba Douglas Hamilton as well, did anyone see her living in Lapland with the herdspeople and wrestling reindeer, bloody 'ell

Incredible wasn't it. I thought that she had almost had her head ripped off by that one reindeer.

Regarding D.A. I have to totally agree with David Bryant. He gave up everything to pursue his one love, to the benefit of millions that have watched his countless watchable programmes.

I can' really think of anyone that I don't really like with maybe the irritating , but usually brilliant, Aussie (I think his name is Steve Irwin) a slight exception. His programmes are very watchable but the man's on an ego trip all the time.

Repeated listening of most documentaries always turns up soemthing annoying.

I have his book, so no problem. ;)

Last edited:
Iolo Williams for me every time. His series has just finished on S4C, brilliant.
He has his own female camera crew with him, must admit they are very pleasing to the eye.

Chris.

Went to see DA at the Bird Fair a few years back. He was doing the celebrity lecture on the making of the life of birds. Totally inspiring and came across as a bloody nice bloke. I never tire of his voice, in fact he's on as I type this (last ever Wildlife on One). Just for the record sat at the side of me, at that lecture, was a certain W E Oddie - no doubt picking up a few tips.

Mark

On the theme of voiceovers and commentary. Give me: Attenborough, Brian Redhead, Garrison Keillor, John Arlott, Brian Johnstone, Alistair Cooke.

There are some that can and some that do!...masters!

JB.

ickle_vicki said:

Far as I'm concerned you are. I like the guy, I think he has a great narrarating voice.

Chigrl said:
Far as I'm concerned you are. I like the guy, I think he has a great narrarating voice.

Chigrl's comments are interesting because the major funding for BBC Natural History is from American sources because they are so favoured in the USA. I am not sure if this applies to one William Oddie or Big Cat Diaries (at a real extreme, a certain TV gardener in bright jackets). Wildlife On One, Natural World and the Life series are made for a global market and it is perhaps important to realise that some of the other excellent (to a UK audience) programmes aired here are on a more limited budget and are specifically targeted at a UK audience.

Ian

Just read in yesterday's paper something which cheered me up...this autumn he will lead us on a guided tour of the insect world in 'Life In The Undergrowth' and identify and track down murderers of the animal world in 'Wildlife Forensics' (hope that one isn't like Massive Nature which seemed to relish in blood and gore!).
And then next year he will be back on screen in an epic sequel to The Blue Planet entitled 'Planet Earth'.

So looks like Sir David is keeping his head down and avoiding tv LOL *NOT - hoorah*

GILL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back