• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Around Florence and Tuscany in dec/jan (2 Viewers)

adam.oscarson

Hi!

I'm going to spend this New Year in Florence with my family (all non birders..). Then (on my request) we plan to spend a few nights outside Florence, somewhere within 1-2 hours drive from Florence.

I would very much appreciate some advices on where to stay, with at least some possibility for bird watching in the vicinity. Also interested in locations in/near Florence, and other places not to far away that would be possible for ha half or full day visit. If it is possible to get in contact with a local guide or birder, I'm interested.

Also interested in advices on places to go for a walk, even if not that good for birding.

Thanx!

/ Adam

Hi Adam -
I was just in Florence a week ago. Not a lot of birds, and all probably pretty common in Europe.
The best spot I found was on the river flat in front of, and hill area leading up to the Piazzale Michelangelo. It's an easy walk from all the main attractions. Plot this location: 43.765276, 11.264675.

Access to the riverfront is right at that location. Note I didn't go into the woods right there - it appeared someone was actually living in there. Managed to pick up the Little Egret, Common Kingfisher, Robin, Common Moorhen, Mallards, Yellow-legged Gull, and Grey Wagtail. On the hill was also a Blackcap, and the ever present Blackbirds and Black Redstarts.

I ended up with over 20 lifers on a non-birding whirlwind trip through Italy. But it wasn't too hard if you've never birded Europe before. Not sure how many interesting birds you'll find that time of year.
The view from the plaza was worth the hike up anyway. Florence is a wonderful place to spend some time - although pricy compared to US.
Not sure I'd want to drive within Florence or Italy again though - sorry, but rules and lines don't seem to matter at all. I'd park outside the city and take a train in.
Have fun!

As for place to stay in Northern Tuscany. We really enjoyed this place:

Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa - it's a Marriott property. Google it for info.

Enclosed within a park - beautiful spot not near a whole lot though. Lots of bird there too. Wouldn't have found it without the GPS telling us where to turn.

Hi there,

This book is in italian but with GPS coordinates.
http://ebnitalia.it/easyNews/NewsLeggi.asp?NewsID=32

As local guide I can reccomend Alessio, he is a really good birder and knows Tuscany, especially the north coast, extremely well.
http://www.officinanatura.org/?q=alessio-quaglierini

The best area to bird (almost) in Florence is this small natural reserve, maybe you can try to contact it to have info.
http://www.zoneumidetoscane.it/en/le-aree/la-querciola-sesto-fiorentino/habitat

I wish you good time in Italy!
best,

Pietro

Hi!

Thanx for the answers, didn't got notified so saw them just now...

/ Adam

Hi Adam

The reason you weren't notified is because you are not subscribed to the thread.

An easy way for you to do this is via Thread Tools at the top of the thread.

You can change your options in User Control Panel, on a global basis, if you wish.

Also Adam, when you start a new thread, if you scroll down a bit on that page there will be a dropdown under (thread subscriptions) where you can choose to get instant email notification. Same goes when you are replying to a post, if you click on "go advanced" it will give you the same subscription options.

Thank you for information! I thought I was subscribing, but obviously wasn't. Howvever I did not get notifications on these posts, but I'll check my options later on so dont worry;)

/ Adam

1 -2 h, than Piombino is quite good. I saw also Gannets from this viewpoint.
If You are travel with noon birders maybe they want visit Elba ?
The ferry start near Piombino.

Further south is an good spot near Grosseto called Daiccia Botrona.
Even further south is Maremma, I do not know how good is in winter, but in autumn very good.

Some more south is Orbetello. In this lagoons You will find loons and maybe still Flamingo ( I had lots middle of November ).
The none birders can visit Porto Santo Stefano.

I checked ornitho.it and contacted some people. Some of them give really good advices in english.
But ornitho.it for me is easier because is in italian and german language.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back