• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from upstate NY! Heading to Vietnam/Cambodia late November (2 Viewers)

Hey all. Just joined due to an upcoming trip to Vietnam and hopefully Cambodia in the fall. I planning to spend time in Cat Tien, Dalat Plateau, maybe Con Dao Island or some other southern region areas. I'm hoping to find some good areas for shorebirds and waders. I'm also interested in herps, odes, leps, mammals. everything. I have about 19 days on the ground for actual, birding-wildlife viewing, though I'm also considering a trip to Angkor Wat. Any tips on birding around the temples or Siem Reap would also be appreciated.

I'm interested to know about local, affordable nature guides as I'll be traveling on a budget. Specific information on hides would be appreciated.

I'll have more specific questions once I've spent some time on the forum and as my itinerary gets fleshed out.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on BF!

i spent my childhood and teenage years in a summer home we had near Roscoe., NY and I miss it so much. I'm down south now and much older :)
Hope you enjoy your visits to us :)

Hi UpstateRockfarmer and a warm welcome from me too. I've moved your post to the Information Wanted forum, as I think you're more likely to get the help you're looking for there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi UpstateRockfarmer and a warm welcome from me too. I've moved your post to the Information Wanted forum, as I think you're more likely to get the help you're looking for there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.
Thank you delia. Good to know folks are already looking out for me.

Hi, Cat Tien and the Da Lat plateau certainly have the best birding, so plan sufficient time there.
For waders you can go to Can Gio near HCMC, has some good salt pans and mudflats. There are some areas in the Mekong Delta with good chances for Spoon billed Sandpiper and Nordmann's Greenshank.
I didn't t find Angkor Wat itself particularly interesting for birding, but nearby Prek Total is good for water birds.

Hi, Cat Tien and the Da Lat plateau certainly have the best birding, so plan sufficient time there.
For waders you can go to Can Gio near HCMC, has some good salt pans and mudflats. There are some areas in the Mekong Delta with good chances for Spoon billed Sandpiper and Nordmann's Greenshank.
I didn't t find Angkor Wat itself particularly interesting for birding, but nearby Prek Total is good for water birds.
Hey dalat.

Thanks so much for your reply. I downloaded the brochure for San Veasna and I'm looking at the 3 day Giant Ibis tour. I'll research Prek Total as well. If I need an extra day for the temples, I can figure that out. Plenty of time to plan.

I also plan to spend at least 5 or 6 days around Cat Tien and Dalat. I've been in touch with the Forest Floor Lodge in the park where I'd like to spend at least a couple of nights just so I can wander a bit a night looking for amphibians and invertebrates as well doing some owling. Maybe another day or 2 staying somewhere outside the lodge to save a few bucks. Still need to learn more about the Dalat area.

Thanks also for the mention of Can Gio near HCMC. I've read a little about it and I'm hoping to hire a driver for at least one visit there. I'll look for more specific directions to the area in the forum.

My impression of the delta is that most of it has been claimed for agriculture and aquaculture and that few extensive wild areas still persist. I also plan to spend a day or 2 with a friend in Tay Ninh. Don't suppose there are any decent birding sites near there. Finally, hoping to get to Con Dao. Am I correct in assuming one needs to hire a guide to see the breeding seabirds?

Any tips would be appreciated. No rush either. I'm not going until late November.

Thanks again.

Hi!

The Giant Ibis tour will certainly be great, lots of other good birds in this area too.

6 days is minimum for Cat Tien + Dalat in my view, I would rather add 1-2 days more.

The Mekong Delta has good mud flats, but its only really worthwhile if you are after Spoon-billed Sandpiper. You would need a guide knowing the places and coordinate with tides (go at low tide). Opposite in Can Gio, you want to have high tides so the birds come to the salt pans (10°24'05.2"N 106°56'38.7"E · Bùi Lâm, TT. Cần Thạnh, Cần Giá», Thà nh phá» Há» Chà Minh, Vietnam)

I have not tried for the nesting sea birds in Con Dao, but you certainly will need a boat and guide (they are on some little islets out of the main island). The main island has Nicobar Pigeon (difficult to find but possible), otherwise not really remarkable birding.

Last edited:
Hi!

The Giant Ibis tour will certainly be great, lots of other good birds in this area too.

6 days is minimum for Cat Tien + Dalat in my view, I would rather add 1-2 days more.

The Mekong Delta has good mud flats, but its only really worthwhile if you are after Spoon-billed Sandpiper. You would need a guide knowing the places and coordinate with tides (go at low tide). Opposite in Can Gio, you want to have high tides so the birds come to the salt pans (10°24'05.2"N 106°56'38.7"E · Bùi Lâm, TT. Cần Thạnh, Cần Giá», Thà nh phá» Há» Chà Minh, Vietnam)

I have not tried for the nesting sea birds in Con Dao, but you certainly will need a boat and guide (they are on some little islets out of the main island). The main island has Nicobar Pigeon (difficult to find but possible), otherwise not really remarkable birding.
Excellent. Yeah, I'm thinking of mabye skipping Con Dao and allocating those days to Cat Tien, Dalat and maybe another day or 2 in Cambodia. Can Gio is a must I think. Thanks again. You'll probably hear from again.

Hi!

Are the salt pans at Can Gio good for herons and egrets as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back