• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagles at Haweswater! (1 Viewer)

pdg330

I have been to Haweswater 3 times in the past in search of the lone male Eagle, and never had any success.

My wife and I visited Haweswater last Thursday, 2nd April, and at last, some luck. Though it was something quite incredible.

At 11:45am we saw an eagle from the first footbridge over the beck (very close to the car park) flying along the ridge, then it perched for a while and then soared again before disappearing up the valley. Initially I thought it was a buzzard until I realised how huge the thing was, and how different the shape - as soon as I got the binoculars on it, it was plain obvious. Not sure of the location name, but this was nowhere near Riggindale, it was where High Beck runs through. We hiked up this valley for a while hoping to see it again, but didn't until....

Around 2:00pm or so, when walking back down towards the car park, the same bird appeared again, though this time, it was joined by another, and we saw a brief bit of talon locking before they both settled in a tree! This was amazing to behold, as we had assumed there was only one eagle in the lakes?

These birds also had a fair bit of white on the underwings and one of them had a little bit on the breast (could just about make out this with the binoculars). I'm not sure whether they were large juveniles, or whether this was the adult male and a mate that he's finally attracted? Took a few photos with the smartphone of one of them, but rubbish really - makes me hunger for a telephoto lens - but with the binoculars we were able to just sit down on the hillside and observe the pair for at least an hour. They flew back and forth between some trees and even perched in trees a little way apart at one point!

This was an amazing day in glorious weather following 3 previous days of miserable weather (including hail, sleet, etc when out walking). We also felt very privileged to be the only people having sighted these birds, although we did noticed a few others looking from the car park when we decided it was time to return, as they had soared over near there by the time we had to leave!

I have emailed the warden up there to report this sighting, as well as someone from the Cumbria bird club, as I had no idea that there was a pair up there.

It would be great to hear from anyone else in the know here. We certainly made the right choice in heading to Haweswater before heading home!!

PdG

I'm visiting Haweswater in the next few days so will let you know if I see anything. I've been up two or three times and have seen the single male so hope to see him again.

I hate to question this but as someone who spends a lot of time at Haweswater there have been no sightings of this nature recorded recently, we were there a few days before and saw Buzzards in the area you were in. The male eagle was flying along Riggindale Crags in his usual area in the afternoon.

I would love this to be true, but after spending lots and lots of time here, we haven't seen him leave the valley or any sign of another Golden Eagle, mores the pity. Are you sure you can rule out Buzzard? Because this would be truly incredible news

Cheers

Just spoke to them, the RSPB were in the valley fixing the roof on the hide the day you were there reported him flying high in the valley.

A volunteer friend was there today and said he was flying around the far end of the valley, being mobbed by a couple of Ravens so he's obviously pretty active at the moment.

Cheers

The author Mike Tomkies in his book "Golden Eagle Years" announced there was 2 pairs of GE nesting in the lakes, at the time of writing the Riggindale pair were still active, was in the lakes last week for 5 days in THAT weather and one day whilst out on the fells, 1 sunny day out of five, the question popped up about the so called "Secret Pair" eagles are long lived birds and I know people say they are to many tourists and the lakes ain't big enough but there's plenty of glens what most walkers would think twice of tackling, don't forget a pair now nests in Keilder Water which is well published. Nature always surprise's us, fingers crossed on this one has it would be excellent news.

Damian

The "Secret Eagles" were nowhere near Haweswater and haven't been seen for decades. The Haweswater bird is easy to see, simply go there when the RSPB wardens are on site and they will have a scope pointed at him.

don't forget a pair now nests in Keilder Water which is well published.
That's Ospreys not Eagles :t:

The Kielderhead (not Water!) eagles were poisoned a while back now, with no records there in the last 5 or 6 years. A sad reflection on the increased persecution of raptors on grouse moors.

Edit: checked dates; pair last in 2006, single only in 2007, none since.

Last edited:
That's Ospreys not Eagles :t:

The Kielderhead (not Water!) eagles were poisoned a while back now, with no records there in the last 5 or 6 years. A sad reflection on the increased persecution of raptors on grouse moors.

Edit: checked dates; pair last in 2006, single only in 2007, none since.

That's were I've got mixed up with Kielderhead and Kielder Water, its more grasping at straws that wants you to believe we know have another pair of GE nesting in England.

Mono I knew it was a few years back when tomkies mentioned it in his book but had no idea were they were and only knew of that info through reading his book, like I said to Nutcracker, its hoping and praying we get another pair of GE nesting in England, feel so sorry for the Haweswater bird and have been before and know there's nothing secret about him, big sign pointing you in there direction.

Thanks

Damian

As much as I hate to say it, 'white on the breast' doesn't say GE of any age to me.......

it was a tiny strip of white that I could just about make out on the breast of one of the birds. Could easily have been a juvenile from what I'm told.

I know what it was that I saw, and have been studying birds for a long time.

I hate to question this but as someone who spends a lot of time at Haweswater there have been no sightings of this nature recorded recently, we were there a few days before and saw Buzzards in the area you were in. The male eagle was flying along Riggindale Crags in his usual area in the afternoon.

I would love this to be true, but after spending lots and lots of time here, we haven't seen him leave the valley or any sign of another Golden Eagle, mores the pity. Are you sure you can rule out Buzzard? Because this would be truly incredible news

Cheers

Hi Boom, the difference between Eagles and Buzzards when you've got the binoculars on them is pretty clear cut. I know what it was that I saw, and I was also incredulous that on the second sighting, the bird was joined by another. I can 100% rule out buzzard and as I say, the minute I spotted the bird even with the naked eye high up above us, I knew it was no buzzard. The binoculars immediately confirmed a Goldie.

As I say, initially we thought it to be the male, but the sighting a few hours later in a similar spot (a little further up the valley High Beck runs through) where it was joined by its mate was unbelievable. We watched them for an hour or so, and a few people in the car park also had binoculars on them as we were leaving.

I have reported this sighting to the warden up there, and I know that sooner or later, someone else will spot this pair as well. The warden, from what I told him, seems to think it was a pair of Juveniles that I saw, which is also incredible. He is also encouraging me to report this as an official sighting via the cumbria bird club, as apparently what I saw could be a first for 20 years.

Last edited:
Hi Boom, the difference between Eagles and Buzzards when you've got the binoculars on them is pretty clear cut. I know what it was that I saw, and I was also incredulous that on the second sighting, the bird was joined by another. I can 100% rule out buzzard and as I say, the minute I spotted the bird even with the naked eye high up above us, I knew it was no buzzard. The binoculars immediately confirmed a Goldie.

As I say, initially we thought it to be the male, but the sighting a few hours later in a similar spot (a little further up the valley High Beck runs through) where it was joined by its mate was unbelievable. We watched them for an hour or so, and a few people in the car park also had binoculars on them as we were leaving.

I have reported this sighting to the warden up there, and I know that sooner or later, someone else will spot this pair as well. The warden, from what I told him, seems to think it was a pair of Juveniles that I saw, which is also incredible. He is also encouraging me to report this as an official sighting via the cumbria bird club, as apparently what I saw could be a first for 20 years.

Hope you're right, would be a fantastic find and great news for GE's in England!

Shane

Took a few photos with the smartphone of one of them, but rubbish really -

Hi PdG, in case it helps, it might be worth trying to upload those pics if you can. Although you might not be happy with the photos, some of the bird of prey experts on here might still be able to conclusively confirm their identity for you on structure alone.

Cheers,

Larry

As much as I hate to say it, 'white on the breast' doesn't say GE of any age to me.......

I've seen the male today and he has white on his breast, the RSPB warden said that he had never seen that before and he thought that it was because he had a full crop.

The Haweswater male is a full adult with no white on him anywhere, so any white on claimed eagles in the area means Buzzards.

Pale areas in pix are due to strong sunlight.

John

Haweswater male Golden Eagle, May 2013 X 2

Attachments

• 2013_05_17_Golden_Eagle (9) (800x533).jpg
    2013_05_17_Golden_Eagle (9) (800x533).jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 2013_05_17_Golden_Eagle_12 (800x533).jpg
    2013_05_17_Golden_Eagle_12 (800x533).jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 388
The Haweswater male is a full adult with no white on him anywhere, so any white on claimed eagles in the area means Buzzards.

Pale areas in pix are due to strong sunlight.

John

Haweswater male Golden Eagle, May 2013 X 2

Sorry but he had white on his breast today and it wasn't a Buzzard, it was the male pirched at the far end of the valley (1.5 miles away) and only visible through a scope. The RSPB warden/ranger said that it was probably down showing through because his crop was full. I see Buzzards almost every single day and know that this was not a Buzzard.

Sorry but he had white on his breast today and it wasn't a Buzzard, it was the male pirched at the far end of the valley (1.5 miles away) and only visible through a scope. The RSPB warden/ranger said that it was probably down showing through because his crop was full. I see Buzzards almost every single day and know that this was not a Buzzard.

Totally agree with Mickr, from what I know he is a very respected border with a lot of Knowledge on BoP and if the RSPB warden also seen it I don't know why you ( FJohn) are questioning his and the wardens sightings, I agree we all know GE do not have white on there breast but nature can always through surprise's up
If I was you John id get my butt up there and look for yourself before questioning other well respected birders with a hell of a lot of knowledge and that's not including the RSPB wardens who see the bird more than anyone. I'm not been offensive but before you question 3 peoples sightings, just think how many times have we seen birds for example corvids with white patches and that's just one species off the top of my head.

Regards

Damian

Totally agree with Mickr, from what I know he is a very respected border with a lot of Knowledge on BoP and if the RSPB warden also seen it I don't know why you ( FJohn) are questioning his and the wardens sightings, I agree we all know GE do not have white on there breast but nature can always through surprise's up
If I was you John id get my butt up there and look for yourself before questioning other well respected birders with a hell of a lot of knowledge and that's not including the RSPB wardens who see the bird more than anyone. I'm not been offensive but before you question 3 peoples sightings, just think how many times have we seen birds for example corvids with white patches and that's just one species off the top of my head.

Regards

Damian

I don't blame anybody for being sceptical, I was until yesterday. I didn't go to see the Eagle because of this thread, I was going anyway and can confirm that I did see the white on it's breast. If it is because of a full crop then it will only be seen at certain times.

The lad from the RSPB hasn't heard anything about a 2nd Eagle and his response when I asked him about it was basically that you shouldn't write the sighting off.

I volunteer at Haweswater and can confirm that I have seen some small patches of white on him. I fail to see why this is important though, if the warden there had the scope set up on him then it was the Eagle, they do do this week in, week out.

You can't rule anything out can you, a White Tailed flew through the valley one day not that long ago

Cheets

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back