• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x42 LXL's... (1 Viewer)

Donzo98

To any of the 8x42 LXL owners... other than the weight, are there any other differences between the older and newer versions.

I thought I heard there were detents on the twist up eyecups... is that true?I may buy a pair to try out.

Don

Greetings!

The rubber armoring is different, sort of a purplish gray instead of the old black armor. From what I've read, Nikon changed the rubber armoring to make it more chemical resistant, if I remember correctly they are now using a chlorinated rubber.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

The rubber armoring is different, sort of a purplish gray instead of the old black armor. From what I've read, Nikon changed the rubber armoring to make it more chemical resistant, if I remember correctly they are now using a chlorinated rubber.

Best wishes,
Bawko
My new ones just look like a dull black/dark gray. Whatever the material, I really like the way it feels in my hands.

Doug

Yo all, am I right in assuming the LXL's are rebadged here in the UK as HGL's (previous heavier model was the HG)?

Stewart

:h?:

Hi BF,

Just got a chance to check out 2 new Nikon LXL 8x42. The comparison was a bit dissappointing. I tried 2 different models and the focus knob was stiff. The new chloride free rubberized armor is sticky. I don't like that it picks up all the lint off your clothes or any other fabric it sits on. It feels a bit weird- it is grippy to the point that it feels sticky like you spilled your Strawberry Kool Aid all over it. The optics are a hair brighter and maybe half a hair sharper but not certain. And the new case fake leather (again) is a terrible design. But the big but is the weight. And that accounts for much. And the few High End bins I've compared don't look as good as these. The colors WOW, contrast WOW, edge to edge sharpness WOW, the ergonomics excellent.

Best regards,
Carlos

SE vs LXL...

Zolarcon said:
Hi BF,

Just got a chance to check out 2 new Nikon LXL 8x42. The comparison was a bit dissappointing. I tried 2 different models and the focus knob was stiff. The new chloride free rubberized armor is sticky. I don't like that it picks up all the lint off your clothes or any other fabric it sits on. It feels a bit weird- it is grippy to the point that it feels sticky like you spilled your Strawberry Kool Aid all over it. The optics are a hair brighter and maybe half a hair sharper but not certain. And the new case fake leather (again) is a terrible design. But the big but is the weight. And that accounts for much. And the few High End bins I've compared don't look as good as these. The colors WOW, contrast WOW, edge to edge sharpness WOW, the ergonomics excellent.

Best regards,
Carlos

Carlos...

Did you have a chance to compare them to your 8x32 SE's??

Don

Donzo98 said:
Carlos...

Did you have a chance to compare them to your 8x32 SE's??

Don

Yes. Optically the 8x32 SE is the best bin out there for me. I love that bin but waterproof, rugged and dustproof it's not. Optically the SE puts everything else in second place. Also the the LXLs that I tried were exactly the same color as the old LX. But remember the focus knob on the LXL is smooth but real stiff.

Hope this helps.
Carlos

Last edited:
Zolarcon said:
...But remember the focus knob on the LXL is smooth but real stiff....
Carlos

Not on mine. The focuser know on mine is silky-smooth, has no play, and has a very easy action. Easily the best focuser action I've ever felt. No stiffness whatsoever, even out in 20 degree temps. Chalk it up to variances in individual binos?

dwalton said:
Not on mine. The focuser know on mine is silky-smooth, has no play, and has a very easy action. Easily the best focuser action I've ever felt. No stiffness whatsoever, even out in 20 degree temps. Chalk it up to variances in individual binos?

I tried 2 different new LXLs. When yours was new was it stiff and got easier?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back