• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ainu Bird Names? (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

This is a VERY esoteric sort of request, but I don't suppose anyone has or has seen anywhere seen anywhere a list of the names given to birds in the Ainu language? I've managed to track down the names of some of the more "iconic" species - Red-crowned Crane, Steller's Sea Eagle and White-tailed Eagle but would ideally like to try and track down the names of all the species I saw when I was in Hokkaido.

So, if you happen to know where to find the names of any of the following, please let me know! Thanks!

Slaty-backed Gull
Glaucous Gull
Glaucous-winged Gull
Goldeneye
Scaup
Harlequin Duck
Black Scoter
Red-breasted Merganser
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker
Japanese / Great Tit
Eurasian Nuthatch
Pelagic Cormorant
Japanese Cormorant
Brown Eared Bulbul
Whooper Swan
Black-necked Grebe
Large-billed/Japanese Crow
Carrion Crow
Black Kite
White / Black-backed Wagtail

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back