• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

abandoned feeder (1 Viewer)

stephen bosbach

We had a very active feeder through Jan, Feb and Mar., then nothing. Not a bird visits any more. The major event intervening was an invasion of web worms that devoured the live oaks leaving little moths in place of leaves! There are still birds around with the old reliables, cardinals, Carolina Wrens, Chickadees and Titmous, they just don't visit the feeder now. Are other food sources competing enough to make the birds abandon the feeder? Should we be changing seed type? (mix of several sunflower seeds peanuts and saflower). Feedback on this would be appreciated.
Steve in Austin, TX

I was nearly done with a reply and the power went off! I hate when that happens! ;)

Sounds like you've guessed at the problem -- this time of year (breeding season) the birds are looking for more protein-rich food sources and are going after insects, etc., like the worms and moths. Once the chicks have fledged, though, the adults will be showing the kids how to forage for themselves, and no doubt that nice, convenient feeder in your yard will be part of their learning curve. ;)

Safflower seeds, BTW, aren't a good general seed for all birds. It's a very bitter seed, and while I know chickadees, nuthatches and titmice like it occasionally, you might want to think about replacing it or at least removing it from your mix. Black-oil sunflower seeds, or hulled sunflower hearts, are great for just about everybody. I know our jays and woodpeckers gobble up the peanuts by the bagsful. (roasted but not salted; never raw)

Do you hang a nectar feeder for hummingbirds? When all your seed-eaters are away, this is a great way to attract these little jewels into your yard.

Also, do you have a source of water, like a birdbath or small, shallow pond in your yard? This is a sure-fire way to get all kinds of birds to visit year-round, especially those that are not seed-eaters.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what transpires! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back