• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski DCB-Adapter and Digital-SLR-Cameras (1 Viewer)

Laziale

Hello!

I'll probably buy the Swarovski ATS 80 and I want to do digiscoping using a DIGITAL SLR CAMERA (Canon EOS 300 or 350D or the like). Is there any possibility of using a digital SLR-Camera together with the DCB-Adapter and a Swarovski-Scope? I called the Swarovski Customer service and they told me to use the TLS-Adapter (designed for SLR-Cameras). But i don't like the idea of photographing with the TLS. Firstly bechause it is more expensive than the DCB and secondly because the DCB is very practical (you can change QUICKLY between photographing and watching the birds).

(besides: I've tested the DCB together with a Nikon Coolpix 4500 (non-SLR-camera and for that reason very difficult to take pictures of moving or even flying birds))

Has anyone made experience with a Swarovski scope, the DCB and a Digital-SLR-Camera? Is this combination possible?

Thank you very much!

Laziale said:
Hello!

I'll probably buy the Swarovski ATS 80 and I want to do digiscoping using a DIGITAL SLR CAMERA (Canon EOS 300 or 350D or the like). Is there any possibility of using a digital SLR-Camera together with the DCB-Adapter and a Swarovski-Scope? I called the Swarovski Customer service and they told me to use the TLS-Adapter (designed for SLR-Cameras). But i don't like the idea of photographing with the TLS. Firstly bechause it is more expensive than the DCB and secondly because the DCB is very practical (you can change QUICKLY between photographing and watching the birds).

(besides: I've tested the DCB together with a Nikon Coolpix 4500 (non-SLR-camera and for that reason very difficult to take pictures of moving or even flying birds))

Has anyone made experience with a Swarovski scope, the DCB and a Digital-SLR-Camera? Is this combination possible?

Thank you very much!

I can tell you from personal experience that the DCB will not work with a Canon Digital Rebel or Rebel XT. I am pretty sure it will not work with any digital SLR as it cannot extend back far enough so that the camera can fit behind the eyepiece. I have the DCB which I use with a Canon A95 fixed lens digital camera. For my Digital SLR I have used the TLS800 and have been very happy with it. It makes your ATS80 the equivalent of an 800mm telephoto lens with a f10.

For what you want to do with a digital SLR, I would recommend getting the DCA. I use it for very nice results. This is a link to a pdf document by Clay Taylor of Swarovski on the various adapters http://www.optics4birding.com/Media...- Cameras & Adapters for Swarovski 8-2004.pdf

My experience has been the same as his. I generally shoot with the DCA and only pop out the TLS800 when I have the opportunity for some outstanding shots. I hope this helps |=)|

WillSyd said:
For what you want to do with a digital SLR, I would recommend getting the DCA. I use it for very nice results. This is a link to a pdf document by Clay Taylor of Swarovski on the various adapters http://www.optics4birding.com/Media/Documents/PDF/Photography%20-%20Cameras%20&%20Adapters%20for%20Swarovski%208-2004.pdf

My experience has been the same as his. I generally shoot with the DCA and only pop out the TLS800 when I have the opportunity for some outstanding shots. I hope this helps |=)|
Do you get a lot of vignetting and them crop the pic later? Isn't the SLR lens diameter much larger than the eye piece?

(I use Swaro 65 + DCA + coolpix but am wondering about a 350D).

Alastair Rae said:
Do you get a lot of vignetting and them crop the pic later? Isn't the SLR lens diameter much larger than the eye piece?

(I use Swaro 65 + DCA + coolpix but am wondering about a 350D).
There is some vignetting, but it is not as bad as you might think. You will get better pics from a TLS800, but you can't get as close.

WillSyd said:
There is some vignetting, but it is not as bad as you might think. You will get better pics from a TLS800, but you can't get as close.

Thank you very much for your information! I still got some questions...: Which Digital-SLR-Camera do you use together with the DCA? A Canon EOS 300, EOS 350D or any other camera?

What is the magnification of the TLS? 18x?

What about taking pictures of flying birds or fast moving birds like limicols? I imagine you can get great pictures of limicols (or the like) but what about flying birds? Isn't it very difficult to focus on flying birds with the scope AND the camera?

Last edited:
I've been fancying going this way as well, using a DSLR. From what I've read up on, the most practical way to go is to buy a 50mm f1,8 lens which can be mounted using the filter thread directly to the DCA. That way you can still use the scope eyepiece which is where the advantage of digiscoping comes into play.

Attaching a DSLR body without an eyepiece negates the advantage of using a scope.

A DSLR with a mirror lock is preferable as the mirror movement sets up vibration. The 350D and 20D have this feature but the 300 doesn't - though a software fix can be downloaded. The Nikon DSLRs don't have this feature at all.

For flying birds then the DSLR and long lens may be better. Digiscoping birds in flight can be done, but it's far from easy.

I'd be interested to hear what others say as well. My thoughts are just based on research rather than actual use.

IanF said:
I've been fancying going this way as well, using a DSLR. From what I've read up on, the most practical way to go is to buy a 50mm f1,8 lens which can be mounted using the filter thread directly to the DCA. That way you can still use the scope eyepiece which is where the advantage of digiscoping comes into play.

Attaching a DSLR body without an eyepiece negates the advantage of using a scope.

A DSLR with a mirror lock is preferable as the mirror movement sets up vibration. The 350D and 20D have this feature but the 300 doesn't - though a software fix can be downloaded. The Nikon DSLRs don't have this feature at all.

I'd be interested to hear what others say as well. My thoughts are just based on research rather than actual use.

Hello, I have just joined this forum to learn about possible ways of using my scope with my camera having just returned from a visit to New Zealand where I was able to get good views of bird rarities but not photograph them as with my 70-300 Zoom the images were still too small.

I note that most of the postings on this subject are over a year old so I am keen to learn members' up to date views and experiences.

I have a Swarovski ATS65HD with 30xx eyepiece and a Canon 350D. I am trying to decide the best way to go as a start - DCA with 50mm lens (which I don't have at the moment) or TLS 800? I do have a 17-55 F2.8 Zoom which has a very large diameter filter - 77mm. I guess this wouldn't work with the DCA?

All contributions gratefully welcomed.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back