• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 350D with Sigma 135-400mm lens (1 Viewer)

guitarmaker

Canon 350D with Sigma 135-400mm lens
Hi,
I am using a Canon 350D with a Sigma 135-400mm lens and I am finding the the photo; are not clear. I have tried lots of setting but still not happy with the lens.
Anyone have any ideas. I have only had the len a week,

Pete

Hi Pete

Welcome to birdforum.

Photo's not clear covers a multitude of sins. Maybe you can attach an example to this thread. As an ex-owner of this lens I know it can turn in good results in good light. In fact the new owner who is a forum member has posted some good shots in the gallery.

lets make sure the basics problems are avoided first.

At 400mm you should be shooting with a shutter speed faster than 1/400 sec.
From my experience if you can get up to 1/1000 even better.
This lens starts to give decent results when stopped down to atleast f7 - f8.
In good light your probably need ISO 400 or 800 to get the above.
The 350D has low noise at these ISO settings.

Lastly it is always best to have some support - tripod, monopod or bean bag.

Robert

Great advice above ... camera shake is the first problem and lens quality is the second here perhaps. The lens is decent but it's a budget/mid lens and so unless you really get conditions and camera settings spot on you may be unhappy ... and this depends on your standards mtoo of course. The 50-500mm Bigma is a super lens for birding and has the quality you may be happier with. The advice about a good tripod or monopod and ballhead really carries weight with these big lenses. My ex 100-300 f4 Sigma and TCon combo was transformed on a tripod.

guitarmaker said:
Canon 350D with Sigma 135-400mm lens
Hi,
I am using a Canon 350D with a Sigma 135-400mm lens and I am finding the the photo; are not clear. I have tried lots of setting but still not happy with the lens.
Anyone have any ideas. I have only had the len a week,

Pete

hi

am in the market for 350 or 30, only really have the budget for the 350 how do you rate it for birding?

duncan

dunkienet said:
hi

am in the market for 350 or 30, only really have the budget for the 350 how do you rate it for birding?

duncan

Hi check out the thread 350d v 30d I think you will find plenty of positives about the 350d
Cheers Trevor

A simple search for "350D" in the gallery will tell you all you need to know about the camera's potential.

No matter how often this question is asked, the answer never changes...

dunkienet said:

All the current crop of Canon dslr's are fine for bird photography, it really just comes down to a matter of budget vs features...

Is the 30D a better camera than the 350D? - yes, it does have some definite improvements and additional features, so if it's in your budget it's probably worth going for a 30D. But you can keep going, the 1Dn Mk II is even better, but costs even more...

Work out your budget and then look at the cameras in that price bracket, but remember to budget for all the additional bits you'll need/want - memory cards, spare batteries, camera bag and of course lenses!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back