• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small basidiomycetes from Serbia (1 Viewer)

milica

Hello my new friends. I am very happy to join in forum and I hope that you can help me.
I have problems about identification of small fungus (basidiocarp 1-2 mm) recorded on dead leave on Nepeta rtanjensis (Lamiaceae, endemic and threatened plant from Serbia).
The first impresion was that maybe member of fam Dacrymicetaceae or Typhulaceae (suggestion from my collegue from Mexico).
This identification is very important for my PhD.
Unfortunately I have not eny specimen. I have only photographs and one microscopic slide . Thank you very much in advance
p.s. Sorry for bed english

Attachments

• basidiocarp.jpg
    basidiocarp.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 143
milica said:
Hello my new friends. I am very happy to join in forum and I hope that you can help me.
I have problems about identification of small fungus (basidiocarp 1-2 mm) recorded on dead leave on Nepeta rtanjensis (Lamiaceae, endemic and threatened plant from Serbia).
The first impresion was that maybe member of fam Dacrymicetaceae or Typhulaceae (suggestion from my collegue from Mexico).
This identification is very important for my PhD.
Unfortunately I have not eny specimen. I have only photographs and one microscopic slide . Thank you very much in advance
p.s. Sorry for bed english

Hello milica. Welcome to the forum.

Naming your fungus is not going to be easy.

First, can I ask why you say it is a basidiomycete?
You have looked at a microscope slide and presumably you saw basidia, but how certain are you of this?
If you did see basidia, what features did they have - how many sterigmata, how long (relatively) were the sterigmata, were there any internal septa (transverse or longitudinal) in the basidia?
The basidia of the Dacrymycetales and Typhulales are very different (see diagrams in mycology textbooks) and you should have seen clues to eliminate one or other possibility.

Frankly, I don't think it belongs to either. There are some small members of the Dacrymycetales that could be that shape, but the consistency doesn't seem right and I would expect them on wood, not on leaves. I don't know of any member of the Typhulales that is at all like it. The Tremellales might be more promising, but again they are typically on wood (or on other fungi that are in the wood).

Unless you are really sure you saw basidia, I think you should be considering one of the small cup fungi (Ascomycota). I am assuming here that the fruit-body is basically a small, stalked cup, even though it is split (which is not important). At first glance this looks to me most like a species of Hymenoscyphus - a large genus with many species on dead leaves. I could further guess that it could be Hymenoscyphus scutula (aggregate), simply on the basis that it is widespread and usually common in Europe, non host-specific, distinctly stalked, very variable in colour, often slightly tough in consistency (which means it has less transient fruitbodies that are more easily noticed and not confined to damp places) - and it can look like your photo! But that would be just a guess, Hymenoscyphus species always need careful work.
If you did see definite basidia then I am wrong (and rather puzzled).

Incidentally, if you are thinking that this may be some special, host-specific fungus on your rare Nepeta, this is unlikely. There are exceptions, but my experience with rare plants in Britain is that they tend not to be sources of equally rare fungi - being restricted to a rare host is not a great survival strategy for the fungus. So they tend to have generalists - such as Hymenoscyphus scutula!

Alan

Dear Silver,
my first opinion was that it is Ascomycetes but I have problems about microscopic structures in hymenium. It seem to be young asci but I have never seen ascospores. Also, I have never seen furcate basidium (Dacrymycetaceae..) but "young asci" can be cystidia (Typhulaceae). I am so confused!!!
I will send more photos on your private e mail.

milica said:
Dear Silver,
my first opinion was that it is Ascomycetes but I have problems about microscopic structures in hymenium. It seem to be young asci but I have never seen ascospores. Also, I have never seen furcate basidium (Dacrymycetaceae..) but "young asci" can be cystidia (Typhulaceae). I am so confused!!!
I will send more photos on your private e mail.

From the photographs Milica has sent me, I now admit he/she is quite right that the mystery fungus is a basidiomycete.
But it remains a mystery!

I am puzzled. The photo posted here looked (to me) like the fruit-body was cup-shaped, albeit split. This would suggest that it is in the old genus Cyphella (now much split up). Evidently it was much paler in colour when fresh, and I have wondered about Calyptella campanula (= Cyphella sulphurea), which seemed a possibility from an old French key I have. However, I don't think Milica's photomicrographs fit it, and, as he says, there are structures that look like cystidia.

Also, the photographs of it when it was younger and fresher suggest it is more club-shaped - which would indeed take it to the Pistillaria-Typhula group - now known to contain a number of similar but quite unrelated fungi. I have some limited information I can follow up, but I fear that I am not helping.

Bright ideas needed!

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back