• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abandoned birds nest PLEASE HELP (1 Viewer)

agricola

Deserted eggs

undefined
ju_buggy said:
Hi! I have a nest in my tree, and recently the mother Thrush hasnt been sitting on the eggs. She seemed ok when we first found the nest, and I need some advice on what to do. Please help! The eggs are cold, does this mean the baby birds are dead? Thanks!
It is good that the eggs are cold. The incubation process may not have yet started. The eggs would normally be left for about a week before the bird sits. If the eggs have not already sat on, there is a strong chance that incubation has not yet started. Try and found some-one with an incubator, and knowledge of incubating. Good luck

Hi, ju-buggy! A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

You've gotten some good advice about leaving the nest -- and the eggs -- as they are and letting Nature take its course. Depending on how often you visited the nest, it's quite possible that you could have spooked the adults away. It's always best to watch nesting behavior from as far away as possible to avoid disturbance. That's not to say that's what happened in your particular case, but birds during breeding season can be extremely sensitive to the presence of humans, and, of course, predators. As Colpurps said, the adults left it for a reason (one of which may be that the eggs themselves were "bad").

Don't be discouraged about this one nest. I've seen at least one other species (Dark-eyed Junco) that has abandoned its nest after laying a clutch of eggs rebuild elsewhere and immediately lay a new clutch. The new nest was in a more invisible place with far less human traffic. And all four eggs hatched and fledged. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back