• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning Dove scared from nest with single egg - will she return - will baby make it? (2 Viewers)

AirRicki

United States
I scared a nesting morning dove from her nest this evening after dark. She has one egg in the nest and it was not there yesterday evening so I know it's 24 hours or less since it was laid.
Will the mother return tonight since it's dark?
Can she see in the dark to return?
Do you think the egg will survive without mom sitting tonight? (Temps are getting down to 57f overnight.)
I have read that some eggs do not start actully incubation until both eggs are laid, but she has not left the nest since yesterday evening so I am not sure if she will lay another egg.
I hope she will return!

Welcome to Birdforum.

It is best to leave nests well alone. Don’t go looking in them as that will put birds off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back