• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding West of Malaga in May (1 Viewer)

cliven

Birding West [correction] EAST [/correction] of Malaga in May

I am required to attend a family holiday on the Costa del Sol between Rincon de la Victoria and Torre del Mar in May next year. I'll go spare unless I can escape and this neck of the woods doesn't immedately strike me as my kind of scene. I hope someone can prove me wrong!

Please could someone tell me what birding opportunities/locations are likely to be accessible within a reasonable drive of here.

Thanks

Clive

Last edited:
cliven said:
I am required to attend a family holiday on the Costa del Sol between Rincon de la Victoria and Torre del Mar in May next year. I'll go spare unless I can escape and this neck of the woods doesn't immedately strike me as my kind of scene. I hope someone can prove me wrong!
Please could someone tell me what birding opportunities/locations are likely to be accessible within a reasonable drive of here.
Thanks
Clive

Hi Clive.

The area you are going to is, in fact, east of Málaga, not west.

There are some excellent birding opportunities within 30 - 40 minutes drive from where you will be staying, such as the Río Vélez, near Torre del Mar and the estuary of the Río Guadallhorce, near Málaga.

Within 60 minutes there is the site at El Refugio, near Marbella, Chorro Gorge, Teba Gorge, the Río Turón near Ardales, the lagoons at Campillos and the Laguna Fuente de Piedras.

All of these sites and many more are described in great detail and with precise directions in my book "Birdwatching on Spain's Southern Coast" (2nd edition).

If you require more information, please ask.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

John Butler said:
Hi Clive.

The area you are going to is, in fact, east of Málaga, not west.

John.

You're right of course. My silly error!

I'll certainly be splashing out on your book before I go.

Thanks for the initial pointers. I understand that the west of Malaga (the "true west" I mean) is the real hot spot of the region. How long a drive do you think for the Cota Donana? Worth a day/overnight trip?

Thanks

Clive

Last edited:
cliven said:
Thanks for the initial pointers. I understand that the west of Malaga (the "true west" I mean) is the real hot spot of the region. How long a drive do you think for the Cota Donana? Worth a day/overnight trip?
Thanks
Clive

Hi Clive.

You are certainly right about Doñana being the birding "hotspot" at that time of year. A glance at the May trip Reports on the "Archived Trip Reports" page of my website will give you an indication of the quality birding that can be attained here during that period.

With regard to travelling over. I estimate about a 325 kilometre drive (three - three and a half hours) to get from Torre del Mar to El Rocío. Obviously, if you were travelling that sort of distance it would be best to make an overnight stay in the Doñana area.

If you do decide to make the journey, let me know and I will give you directions, accommodation recomendations and pointers to the best sites.

I am currently writing a new book, based solely on the Doñana region and hopefully I will get it to the publishers in time for publication for next spring.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

Guadalhorce is great, buy maybe May it is a little bit late. Better in Winter.

I have just visited Doñana once and i started my trip from San Lucar de Barrameda (250 km from málaga). I do not know if they still do that. I know yhe main entrance is on the other side (El rocío)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back