• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon A95+nikon scope (1 Viewer)

paul_j_c2000

Hi i am posting this message hoping that it will help any like
minded people with an interest in digiscoping,i have owned a Nikon
ED82 field scope for a while and i am very pleased with it(i also
have the 30x ep)i liked the idea of digiscoping which i had read
alot about on the net,i found that the shape of the nikon eyepiece
was not really suited to having anything clamped to it and because
of the twist out design of the cover, push on adaptors were not that
good either so i bought the nikon FSA digi camera attachment which
comprises of three parts FSA1 FSA2 and FSA3 and makes a really solid
eyepiece attatchment,the only trouble is nikon only make adapter
rings to suit there camera's. i bought it with the ring for the
cp900/4500 series and borrowed a cp990 from a friend it worked
really well but i didnt really get on very well with the camera, so
i wanted to fit it on my canon a95 . i bought the canon filter
attachment from ebay which has a 52mm thread on the end,being an
engineer i measured the thread on tne nikon adapter and found it had
a 58mm thread,so i found a 52/58 stepup ring and great the whole
setup fits together the FSA3 takes the canon adaptor and stepup ring
lock it onto the camera and just slip onto scope when needed,i have
used the setup to good effect but havent had a nice bright day yet
to try it at its best there is vignetting at the lower zoom settings
but soon goes when zooming in on the camera.knowing the thread size
i am sure their are lots of combinations which could be tryed,hope
this makes sense to someone i will post some pics asap paul

Really great information Paul. I just purchased ED82 with 30x as well as FSA-3 adapter. Looking forward to see some of your pictures with A95. I have not decided on the best camera yet. A95 is a option.

George

digiscoped pics

hi thanks for your replys i am no expert as you will see from my pics |=)| but i like trying things out,its early days yet but here are some pics i have taken so far

Attachments

• snipe1 digiscoped.jpg
    snipe1 digiscoped.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 309
  • kingfisher.jpg
    kingfisher.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 330
  • teal digiscoped.jpg
    teal digiscoped.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 335
Hi Paul, nice pics, I have just got the LensMate adapter from the states so I can connect my a95 to my Swaro but I am having some trouble with focusing. Are you just useing the monitor and focusing with the scope? it does seem a bit small to see clearly if the subject is in focus. Did you use the "auto" program?
Regards Lorne

thanks

Thanks for your comments i havent had much chance lately to much work load but i have found some good settings on in the digiscoping/camera settings forum i have had some success with macro setting which gives you a magnified view in the centre of the screen ,there are lots of other people using them so i think you will fing plenty of things to try have fun paul
Lorne said:
Hi Paul, nice pics, I have just got the LensMate adapter from the states so I can connect my a95 to my Swaro but I am having some trouble with focusing. Are you just useing the monitor and focusing with the scope? it does seem a bit small to see clearly if the subject is in focus. Did you use the "auto" program?
Regards Lorne

Lorne said:
Regards Lorne

Hi Lorne,
I've found the best way to get good focusing is focus with the scope first then half press the shutter release to 'tune' the auto focus to it, from now on you can probably focus accurately using the screen. Do this every time you switch the camera on for use.
Remember digiscoping is taking a picture of what the scope sees and if the scope isn't in focus then what you take isn't either.
If you still have trouble focusing you might find it easier using manual focus with the central area magnified, if you do use this make sure you focus with the scope to start with.

As regards camera settings here's what I've found works well:
Turn the mode dial to AV (aperture priority).
Press the FUNC button and select AWB, Continuous Drive Mode, ISO 50, Effect off, Spot metering, Large (L), and Superfine (S).
Press the FUNC button again to exit these settings.

Press the MENU button and select Flexizone, Red-eye off, AF Point, MF-Point Zoom on, AF assist Beam off, Digital Zoom off, Review 3 secs, Reverse Display on.
Then the most important bit, Save settings to C, this will put all the settings made into C (custom) Mode, from now on use C Mode all the time.
Press MENU again to exit.

When you've sorted out the zoom needed to clear vignetting this setting can also be saved to C by simply zooming the camera to the required position and Savings Settings to C again.

If you prefer to always use manual focus this and the distance scale setting can also be saved to C.

What you have now is Aperture Priority Mode, auto focus and spot metering position linked together, i.e. focusing and metering are both done in the rectangle in the centre of the screen - which incidentally can be moved to 9 different positions in the screen to help composition or avoid small obstacles in front of the bird etc. - see your manual for how to do this.

John-henry

Thanks Paul & John-henry, WOW that is some answer j-h, it is going to give me some stuff to do over the weekend. I bought the a95 last March after getting recomendations from this forum, but have only realy used it for flower close-ups, and have been extreamly pleased with the results. Working my way thu the user guide for anything is heavy going, and there seems to be so much to learn, so thanks again.
Regards Lorne.
one other problem is connecting to my Scopetronics adapter, I think I'll start a new thread for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back