• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lanzarote Dove Info Wanted (1 Viewer)

Krispo said:
Hi,

What doves do they get?

thanks,

Krispo

Only guessing, but I'm sure they will have Collared Dove and feral Barbary/African Collared Dove. Laughing Dove is on Fuerteventura so might be there too. Feral Rock Dove, maybe some 'genuine' birds.Turtle Dove on passage.

There is a new book out or imminent by Tony Clarke that covers status and identification of birds on the Canaeries as well as the other Macaronesian islands.

Steve

Whoah, Laughing Dove on Fuerteventura! I missed that one.

I think it is on one of the other Canary Islands along with Bolle's Pigeon. Maybe Gran Canaria.

Andrew said:
Whoah, Laughing Dove on Fuerteventura! I missed that one.

I think it is on one of the other Canary Islands along with Bolle's Pigeon. Maybe Gran Canaria.

No, Laughing Dove is on Fuerteventura, or at least it was last time I went about four years ago. I would be quite happy to believe natural expansion from Morocco but it may just be escaped/released birds.

steve

Andrew,

I think you are thinking of Laurel Pigeon.

If the Laughing Doves are from natural expansion they don't seem to have done much natural expansion on Fuerteventura itself.

In terms of Lanzarote the 'Rock Doves' at the fire mountains camel 'station' looked remarkably good, lacking any variation.

Stephen.

Ah yes, makes sense now. I remmeber thinking of the Laughing Doves and giving up after seeing so many Collared Doves.

Were they Collared Doves I wonder now! ;)

Just got the new Tony Clarke book and he includes Laughing Dove as presumed to be breeding on Fuerteventura.

Steve

What's this new book?

Sounds intriguing as I plan to return to the Canaries at some point so I will probably try to get a copy if I haven't got it.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Field Guide to the Birds of the Atlantic Islands published by Helm. Written by Tony Clarke, illustrated by Tony Disley and another chap whose name escapes me.

Mine is on order, perhaps Steve can say how good it is.

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Mine is on order, perhaps Steve can say how good it is.

Stephen.

It's good. Got mine slightly reduced from Tesco.com, free postage. I bought it mainly as an up-to-date status for the islands covered, and it does that job well. Plates are nice too, by Chris Orgill (new to me) and Tony Disley.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back