• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth Traps (1 Viewer)

Dave G

Hi all,
I've noticed a few people are running moth traps, could you let me know what you are using and what sort of results you are getting.
I am about to build a MV 125w trap and a 22watt Actinic (in case the MV is to bright for the neighbours).
I am a newbie to this so be gentle with me... ;)

Dave

Hi there
I have an on-loan 125w MV trap that I run in my tiny town garden whenever the weather looks right. I use garden chairs to keep the light from shining on the neighbours's windows. I have caught about 70 macro and 11 micro species so far, since April. The biggest catch I have had was 54 one night last week, and that took me two hours to work through. I hate to think what would happen if I went out into a good habitat and caught hundreds!! I find that I need to refer to websites (UK Moths and the Leics and Rutland Moth Group) to look at their collections of photographs a lot, especially for micros, to back up the pictures in Skinner and Goater. And I have two very helpful experts that I email with descriptions of anything I am unsure of.

Good luck with your mothing
Steve

Hi Steve,
Thats the rub isn't it...what if I get hundreds!!!
I am going the 125MV route as better to release unknown than not catch at all. So I will save the actinic project for a later date.
I have still to get the Skinner book so I am relying at the moment on photos of subjects (if unknown) and on line resources.
Will let you know how I get on with a few pictures hopefully.

Cheers
Dave

Istarted offmwith actinic. A Heath trap in a suburban garden. 125W MV trap is best but make sure you shield it from neighbours bedrooms. Be lazy use a time switch and check it in the morning. Do not forget, as heat, especially at the moment, builds up quickly in the traps and kills a lot of moths. Large Yellow Underwings are starting to become common at the moment so you will get plenty. My commonest is however Heart and Dart.

One night a few years ago on South Uist I caught over 250 Garden Tigers.

Hi Simondix,
I was thinking of using it up to about midnight to start with and release after that. Would I miss a lot doing this as most activity seems to be evening rather than morning.
250!!! one would be nice at the moment.
regards
Dave

Hi all,
Run the trap for 90 mins last night, before power cut from a thunderstorm. I had a few micro's? in there (not a clue what they were as nothing in my books) and a shuttle-shaped dart,least carpet and a clouded buff.
WOW this is fun.........the clouded buff was beautiful.
How can you ID a micro moth? are there any good sites as none of my books tell me what criteria differentiates between a micro and a macro.:h?:
I'm using 2 litre black flower pots (clean) in the trap is this a problem or better to get some egg crates?

Dave

Hi Dave

I had a Shuttle-shaped Dart last night as well but have never had the other two you mention.

Most people use egg-boxes but I am not sure why. Perhaps it is that they provide plenty of separate places for moths to keep apart from each other??

Micro-moths are difficult to ID as the books are all very expensive. Unless it is a very distinctive one I do not try (I am still learning macros anyway). The UK Moth Group site has loads of photographs and brief details of flight periods and habitats but it is a long job going through them all if you have no idea of family.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Dave, I've found Ian Kimber's UK Moths website (http://www.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/) good for all moths, but like most moth-ers I tend to concentrate on the macros (it's not as if there isn't enough to be going at!).
I run my garden traps all night and empty them first thing in the morning (preferably before the sun hits the traps.) I've found that most stuff (especially the hawkmoths) come in after midnight, with the geometrids being earlier.

Thanks Steve and CJW,
What I am trying to find out is what is a micro?
How do you tell a micro from a macro??
The only way for me at the moment is if I can't find it in the general macro books it must be a micro, there has got to be a better way than this. :-C
Good site by the way I think I will be spending a few evenings there.....

Dave

The only way I know it's a micro is if it's not in "Skinner" or "Goater" (although pyralids are really micros I suppose).

Interesting thread guys, any pics of what your trap looks like. I've never seen one! But would like to build one for the deck thatoverlooks extensive wooded area. tThanks for any help!

Hi Screech, here's a shot of my trap in the front garden. It might not be very helpful but you should be able to get the basic idea - even down to the egg cartons that I haven't put back in the trap prior to running.......

Attachments

• trap in situ.jpg
    trap in situ.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 395
It's a bit rough and ready, but the moths don't seem to mind!

Attachments

• appx dims.jpg
    appx dims.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 428
Hi Screech,
Try looking at this link for ideas....
http://www.pwbelg.clara.net/mercury/index.html
mail him he is a nice guy.

That is what I suspected CJW, as I hadn't seen any ID criteria. I will mail a picture of what I have built as soon as my better half returns digi camera from holiday.
I did laugh when the image of a Discovery appeared...;)
but spotted the trap in the end (slow downloads tonight) trap is out at the moment will let you know what it pulls in tonight.

Dave

Hi CJW,
Had the following in the trap this morning that I could ID,
Powdered Quaker (is this the correct time of year web site says flys in spring??)
Ruby Tiger (pale browny/red a very transaparent moth)
Hebrew Character
The Drinker (male)
Brimstone
Common Footman
Scarce Footman
4x Least carpet (I do hope I'm IDing these right?)
Heart-Dart
and my favourite was a very nice Yellow Swallow Tailed moth
Also in there were loads of very small moths that I have no idea what they were, but all released safely to fly another night.
Most impressed with first nights operation, but aren't these lamps bright.
Do you run yours without any shielding? if you do you must have some tolerent neighbours.

Dave

Hi Dave, yes I run my trap without shielding and so far nobody has complained, but the trap doesn't shine onto any other houses directly.
I think you may have got the powdered Qualer and hebrew Character wrong - they both fly in March.
If you have any photos of moths that you are struggling with, I would be happy to help you out (I'll send you a PM with my Email address if you wish).
Chris

Thanks for the info CJW and Dave G, looks easy enough to build. I gather the egg crates catch the moths as they fall down thru shute.
Here's a dumb question, In the morning how do you "harvest" your nights catch wihout losing them when the glass is removed??

And how do you handle the moths to obtain pics. A short time in the refrigerator? I'm at a loss. Back in college days we used a kill jar, perish the thought. ;0

There's more to this than meets the eye! Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
The egg trays just provide somewhere for the moths to shelter away from the light (it means they won't be bouncing around too much and getting damaged)
I always lose a few (usually geometrids, being the more flighy ones) when I remove the perspex sheets and just accept it. I suppose I could take the trap indoors to empty it, but I don't imagine that would be too popular with the wife!!
I give the egg cartons a quick once over to see if there's anything dramatic (catching pots at the ready) and then settle down to take my time over them.
If there's anything I want to photograph, it's consigned to the fridge for a couple of hours.

Hi Screech,
I had the same thought about all flying off but in reality the couple of times I have used the trap only 1 or 2 fly away.
I guess it's like most hobbies, how deep do you want to get involved?
The trap I made is based on a sealed box and large funnel cut at the base to have a 2 inch opening. I don't know if this is to big as I have seen a few moths fly back out towards the light. I guess I will have to buy another funnel and leave a smaller hole this time...oh the expense of these hobbies :-O

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back