• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginner on a budget (2 Viewers)

I'd say get Waring et al, and Sterling et al (micros) if you can afford both. The photographic guide I would regard as a nice to have - there are lots of moth photos on the internet including resources like ukmoths.org and the various "flying tonight" by county sites.

John

Moth trap from Paul Batty arrived last week and am very happy with the construction. Picked up a 12v Lipo battery and charger online - so the basic set up came to about £150 with a couple of spare bulbs.

Sunday night was the first night forecast to be dry so I set it it up about 8pm with the 3W LED.

It attracted over 60 moths and 20+ separate species including Straw Underwing, Larger Yellow Underwing, Flounced Rustic, Square-spot Rustic, Vine Rustic, Setaceous Hebrew Character, Light Emerald, Brimstone, The White Point, Orange Swift, Pale Mottled Willow, Turnip Moth

Very happy for a first attempt

Moth trap from Paul Batty arrived last week and am very happy with the construction. Picked up a 12v Lipo battery and charger online - so the basic set up came to about £150 with a couple of spare bulbs.

Sunday night was the first night forecast to be dry so I set it it up about 8pm with the 3W LED.

It attracted over 60 moths and 20+ separate species including Straw Underwing, Larger Yellow Underwing, Flounced Rustic, Square-spot Rustic, Vine Rustic, Setaceous Hebrew Character, Light Emerald, Brimstone, The White Point, Orange Swift, Pale Mottled Willow, Turnip Moth

Very happy for a first attempt
That's really good. Cloudy, warm and little/no wind is best. Rain is ok in small doses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back