• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel Waistcoats (1 Viewer)

Hi, Does anyone have any views or thoughts on these, in relation to bird and insect watching ?

What are considered to be the "best" makes / suppliers, avalability in UK etc. The new one from Country Innovation and the Tilley version both look excellent but are "hellish expensive" ! I would prefer a " neutral colour" for summer or warm weather use.

Any information or recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
I bought one for £5 from a farmers market/country fair.Lots of pockets,and a neutral beige colour.From a photo I guess it looks no different to the Country innovation ones,but the quality I should think would be lacking.But it does the job,holds all the lens caps etc,(and looks the part!!!).

I've got one I bought in a sports shop a couple of years ago and its great, mine is navy blue, they didn't have any green ones at the time I bought it, the brand is Regatta which doesn't mean anything to me and it cost £19 if I remember right, when it eventually expires I shall certainly get another.

Mick

I recently bought one from www.thearmystore.co.uk/acatalog/Regatta.html OS IV Waistcoat £18-99, . It's excellent with loads of pockets 10+ including a mobile phone pocket. It also has a collar which prevents binocular straps etc. rubbing your neck. I wear mine either over a shirt/ t.shirt or underneath a coat when the weathers cool.

I had a Country Innovation version which completely disintegrated after 13 months of use and I mean dropped to bits with the cotton just wearing away--I now use Rohan more money but I have had the one I am still using for 5 years and there is not a sign of wear--the new version though has a silly water bottle attached!

Johnny1 said:
I recently bought one from www.thearmystore.co.uk/acatalog/Regatta.html OS IV Waistcoat £18-99, . It's excellent with loads of pockets 10+ including a mobile phone pocket. It also has a collar which prevents binocular straps etc. rubbing your neck. I wear mine either over a shirt/ t.shirt or underneath a coat when the weathers cool.

So! That's what a waist coat is? We call them vests on this side of the pond.
Cabela's has a big selection of them. You can also get a long sleeve version called a "safari jacket." Some have lots of pockets, some do not. The ones with many pockets are popularly used for fishing etc.

Bob

I've got a Craghopper Gillet which is extremely useful - it's very lightweight for summer use over a Tshirt and handy in winter for providing pockets when you are wearing waterproof trousers & coat which don't have many pockets.
The gillet along with my Paramo wind smock are my most used clothing items - if you have big hands get an ex military one.... the Craghopper pockets are not big but there are plenty of them.

Try REGATTA they make the best outdoor clothes for a sensible price, good materials and workmanship, so buy the best and save some money for other things. Nobody ever asks what brand your waring so go on save money.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back