• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tasmania Field Guide (1 Viewer)

Jacqui Sulek

I am going to Tasmania in February 2007 and want to purchase a field guide. Can anyone recommend a good one? Is there a field guide just for Tasmania or do I have to buy one for Australia?

thanks

there is Pizzey and Knight's Field Guide to Birds of Australia (or something along that line) and a Princeton Field Guide to Australia also. both seem good, but i know nothing about Australia birds o:D

nctexasbirder said:
there is Pizzey and Knight's Field Guide to Birds of Australia (or something along that line) and a Princeton Field Guide to Australia also. both seem good, but i know nothing about Australia birds o:D
I use Pizzey and Knight's book and find it excellent. I seldom need to look further to identify a bird. There are several other field guides small enough to take with you, but P&K's is better. Best bet is to buy one when you get here.

I agree with Rose, and use Pizzey and Knight most of the time.

There are basically 4 field guides to Australian birds, they all have pros and cons, supporters and detractors - I think it is largely personal preference which you like.

Slater, Slater & Slater
Simpson and Day
Pizzey and Knight
Morcombe

are the authors, the titles are all very similar. most of the large bookshops will have one, two or all of the them in stock.

Cheers

Peter

On page two in this section, there is another thread on which OZ field guide to use. I used P&K on two visits and have been very happy. Just be avare that it is not really pocket sized, it is one to go in your backpack. I would disagree with waiting to buy it: do some reading before going, so that you at least have an idea which family a given bird belongs to, otherwise birdwatching is going to be very frustrating. www.nhbs.co.uk, www.amazon.com, and several australian web pages should be sources for the book.

Niels

I had the very good fortune to visit Tas last Dec/Jan and have to say it was a wonderful place. I used the Simspon and Day field guide and found it more than adequate, one of it's strong features is that it covers all the sub-sp and their range which is particularly useful. Whilst there I also bought a photographic guide to the Mammals which was superb and I know there was also one of the birds too, when I get home tonight I'll look up the authors etc and let you know.

There's also this one which I found on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-T...ef=sr_1_8/102-4378169-7423352?ie=UTF8&s=books

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back