• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lizars 130 binoculars????? (1 Viewer)

bird daft

Hi! My passion for birding has recently been rekindled and a member of the family has dug out my grandfather's binoculars. Lizars 130 is inscribed on the binoculars. There are also some numbers on the binoculars: 57, 72 and 8x26. I daren't guess how old they are, but they have been well looked after. In the brown leather case is a sticker which says J Lizars Ltd. Opticians and Photographic Dealers, 101 - 107 Buchanan Street, Glasgow. I don't really have the first clue about binoculars but I'm quite happy to use these for birding, especially because of the sentimental value of them, but I was just wondering if anyone might be able to shed any light on this particular make for me?

bird daft said:
Hi! My passion for birding has recently been rekindled and a member of the family has dug out my grandfather's binoculars. Lizars 130 is inscribed on the binoculars. There are also some numbers on the binoculars: 57, 72 and 8x26. I daren't guess how old they are, but they have been well looked after. In the brown leather case is a sticker which says J Lizars Ltd. Opticians and Photographic Dealers, 101 - 107 Buchanan Street, Glasgow. I don't really have the first clue about binoculars but I'm quite happy to use these for birding, especially because of the sentimental value of them, but I was just wondering if anyone might be able to shed any light on this particular make for me?

Try this site...

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/pd/pd_lizars_background.htm

the numbers 57-72 are the numbers for interpupillary range( the range that you can set to fit the binocs to the distance between your eyes)

8x26 is the format; the 8 is the magnification number( the object is 8 times closer; the front lens) and the 26 is the size of the objective lens(the back lens)

Oh and Welcome to BirdForum! you will find loads of articles on here that will help you on your birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back