• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newport Wetlands NNR (1 Viewer)

luke

A Welsh birder in Dorset!
This is probably gwents premier reserve covering 483 hectares with numerous different habitats, such as reedbeds, wet grassland, fresh water lagoons, saline lagoons and mudflats. Due to this variety of habitats, plenty of different birds can be seen from 10 different warbler species to vast numbers of wintering ducks and a great variety of waders including some rarities over the years. Also, during winter, up to 50,000 starling use the reedbeds to roost, sharing the evening sky with short eared owl which hunt the foreshore during the winter evenings.

The reserve has a rich variety of breeding species including avocet, which is a first for wales and also bearded tit, which again hasn't breed in wales since the 80's. Little Egret also nest very near to the reserve. Hopefully in coming years bittern and Marsh harrier will join the list of breeding birds with latter already seen carrying nest material, and turning regularly though migration times. The reserve is also your best chance of Cetti's warbler as nearly 40 birds were recorded singing quite recently. A recent report (2005) revealed that the reedbeds are significant for water rail with 54 birds (including 24 pairs) were recorded during a survey.

Garganey and spoonbill are regular spring visitors along with little ringed plover which stay and breed. The lagoons at Goldcliff are a great place to be during the autumn migration with numerous curlew sandpiper and little stint passing through. Most years during this time vagrant wader often turn, usually in the form of Pectoral sandpiper, with Bairds, white rumped and semipalmated also being recorded.

At present a 3 million pound visitor centre is being constructed which will house classrooms, a cafe and visitor centre. This will greatly enhance visitor facilities along with the new pontoons and walkways through the reedbeds. This reserve has tremendous potential to a top Uk bird reserve with bird numbers and species increasing every year!

Last edited:
heres a picture i found on a website of the design of the new wetlands centre.

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    clip_image002.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 273
Hi luke,
It is a great place that you have there. What is the timescale on the completion of visitor centre and other improvements?
regards
Merlin

luke said:
This is probably gwents premier reserve covering 483 hectares with numerous different habitats, such as reedbeds, wet grassland, fresh water lagoons, saline lagoons and mudflats. Due to this variety of habitats, plenty of different birds can be seen from 10 different warbler species to vast numbers of wintering ducks and a great variety of waders including some rarities over the years. Also, during winter, up to 50,000 starling use the reedbeds to roost, sharing the evening sky with short eared owl which hunt the foreshore during the winter evenings.

The reserve has a rich variety of breeding species including avocet, which is a first for wales and also bearded tit, which again hasn't breed in wales since the 80's. Little Egret also nest very near to the reserve. Hopefully in coming years bittern and Marsh harrier will join the list of breeding birds with latter already seen carrying nest material, and turning regularly though migration times. The reserve is also your best chance of Cetti's warbler as nearly 40 birds were recorded singing quite recently. A recent report (2005) revealed that the reedbeds are significant for water rail with 54 birds (including 24 pairs) were recorded during a survey.

Garganey and spoonbill are regular spring visitors along with little ringed plover which stay and breed. The lagoons at Goldcliff are a great place to be during the autumn migration with numerous curlew sandpiper and little stint passing through. Most years during this time vagrant wader often turn, usually in the form of Pectoral sandpiper, with Bairds, white rumped and semipalmated also being recorded.

At present a 3 million pound visitor centre is being constructed which will house classrooms, a cafe and visitor centre. This will greatly enhance visitor facilities along with the new pontoons and walkways through the reedbeds. This reserve has tremendous potential to a top Uk bird reserve with bird numbers and species increasing every year!

The visitor centre should hopefully be opening in the autumn, they are expecting 50,000+ visitors through the centre annually! i would assume all the other improvements shouls also be done then. they are upgrading paths, putting up veiwing points along the estuary, pontoons, bordwalks into the reedbeds, and new screens in the reed clearings. It should be a real top class birding venue in the coming years.

Sounds good to me.
regards
Merlin
luke said:
The visitor centre should hopefully be opening in the autumn, they are expecting 50,000+ visitors through the centre annually! i would assume all the other improvements shouls also be done then. they are upgrading paths, putting up veiwing points along the estuary, pontoons, bordwalks into the reedbeds, and new screens in the reed clearings. It should be a real top class birding venue in the coming years.

i have heard that there has been alot of work going on over the past weeks to imporve the visitor facilities around the reserve. i will have to get down there soon and have a look what going on.

luke said:
spoonbill is back. in 2005 3 stayed at the goldcliff logoons for 5 months!

Hi Luke - good to know - can't wait to get there but it won't be till the end of May.

All the best Dryslwyn

The visitor centre is now on course to open in february 2008. A bit later then expected.
Also the reserves open day this year is on 15th July.

Went down this morning with a few other birders, and the are indeed a few new facilities. the pontoon is great, it crosses one of the pools. we had house martins and swifts almost inches from our heads as they fed along the water. also there is another pontoon with a screen at the end looking over another lagoon and into the reedbed. The visitor centre is looking great as is all the associated landscaping around it.
opposite the buildling site we had good veiws of a lesser whitethroat and common whitethroat. we tried to see bearded tit but the best we got was a single call that we heard from deep inside a reedbed. it was very windy though so i dont blame them!

been down this morning and took a few pics of the visitor centre. it seems to be coming along great!

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 211
here a pic of the avocets after a successful breeding season.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 207
septembers a superb time to be there. always a chance of a vagrant wader, plus all the passage little stint and curlew sandpipers. let me know when you go down and i could meet you there?

My advice would be make sure you know where you're going, and that it's open. I arrived about 5.30pm a few weeks ago to find it closed. At least I think I was in the right place - just outside the gates of what appeared to be a large cement factory.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back