• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon - help please (1 Viewer)

luke

A Welsh birder in Dorset!
hi folks,
i will hopefully be in paignton over the easter holidays. i was just after a bit of info about any hotspots in the vacinity and what might be about.

If you're in Paignton, you should scope the sea at Goodrington for Grebes and Divers - a few should still be there, and they will be coming into breeding dress. Just around the corner is Broadsands beach, which again should hold Grebes and Divers. The area around the car-park is very good for Cirl Bunting, as are the fields by the footpath to Elbury Cove.
Just along the coast is Berry Head, and it is well worth spending a day here as anything can - and does turn up. There may be an odd Black Redstart hanging on, but in early April I would expect a few migrants to be drifting through. There are Cirl Buntings here also, as well as a colony of Auks.

Darrell

Last edited:
Get yourself to Berry Head. The seabird colony will be in full swing by Easter, and in 10 minutes of scanning from the viewpoint (near the castle) you'll have Guillemot, Kittiwake, Shag, Fulmar, Cormorant, LBB, GBB and Herring Gulls, Jackdaws and Feral Pigeons. Black Redstart and Firecrest are likely in the quarry. Offshore Gannet is guaranteed, and if you're lucky maybe a skua sp. incl possible Pomarine, though Arcitc is more likely. You have a good chance if you seawatch for an hour or so.
Check the scrub, you should get Cirl Bunting and probably migrants, eg Whitethroat Redstart, Chiffy, Willow, Blackcap etc. with numbers definitely highest in the early morning. (in fact, if you want passerine migrants, you won't find them during the rest of the day).

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

PS. If you go to Broadsands, you may be lucky and find a few summer p/l Black-necked Grebes.

thanks for the info guys, i have 4 days, so should get to most the mentioned places.

Hi Luke,

As mentioned, Berry Head is a great place for migrants. You can scour the place and/or take a walk along the coastal path westwards to Sharkham Point checking for migrants.

The sea fronts can be good but Easter might be a bit late to score with ducks, divers and grebes. Give it a go and hope for the best as one or two may still be about.

Try checking out Stoke Gabriel pond if you are passing by. Usually good for one or two nice birds and still a chance of a rarity. Nice spot too.

If you have other family members to please then possibly a boat trip on the River Dart from Dartmouth on a nice day and take your bins with you.

On your way down check out Yarner Wood and Stover if you are using the A38/A384 route.

Hope you have a successful trip.

If you want any grid refs or more info then PM me or post away here and I will try my best. I am a bit up in the air so I will get to replying sometime. ;)

thanks for the info andrew, i think i will definatly try for cirl bunting and the sea bird colonie is probably a must aswell. might even fit in a bit of sea watching, you never know. thanks guys!

As Andrew said, if you do go up to Dartmoor, check out Yarner and by Easter you should with relative ease find Tree Pipit, Redstart, Pied Fly and Wood Warbler. Check Stover for Crossbill.

Going next thursday. SO.. is there anything interesting around at the moment. theres a chance i might have a day to trvel a little bit to somewhere so where would you guys recommend?

Would you fancy diverting of the M5 for about an hour to watch a pool by a busy road for Laughing Gull? If so then I can try my best to give clear directions.

thanks for the website! i noticed theres a few sites mentioned where dartford warblers have been seen, is there any around the area where i am going (bearing in mind i could travel a bit.)

thanks for all the info guys! i didnt get round everywhere but did visit berry head twice and got excellent veiws of cirl bunting. also a few gannet offshore, and a sprinkle of migrants including a few wheatear, plenty of chiffchaff and a willow warbler. on the second visit (it was mid afternoon) there was a real difference in the passerines. black redstart was seen in the morning but i couldn't find it. also scoped the see at broadsands and of berry head but no sign of any divers or grebes though there were 4 grt crested grebes of dawlish.
Thanks for all the info, it helped alot.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back