• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoo (1 Viewer)

hangarman2k

hangarman2k
Can anyone advise as to where around manchester I can spot a cuckoo.
I have heard them in previous years at Ethrow CP. Hayfield and Hebden Bridge
but have failed to spot one.I have been back to these places in May for the last couple of years but they seem to have gone to pastures new.
So if anyone hears or sees one Please let me know, so I can chase and hope to spot
Iam also chasing a Green Woody so sugestions are welcome,

Hi Hangerman,

I know nothing about Manchester, but as no-one else has answered as yet, here goes with the type of habitat if that helps, though do bear in mind that, sad to say, their numbers are declining each year.

Try almost anywhere where there are trees and water together, though where there is also some open land nearby too. We have them on the Somerset Levels where there are many wetland areas, but there are usually some trees close to hand, reeds too.

There just as much at home on Exmoor (trees and rivers along with space too) and the New Forest; again trees, rivers and open glades. Just the same up in Scotland.

I hope you have some areas up there similar to those above, the rest is down to patience and.....LUCK! Good luck.

Sue.

Try Chat Moss for Cuckoo, especially the Astley Moss area. I`m sure you`ll drop on a Green Pecker somewhere but I see one nearly every time I go to the Wigan Flashes, near Moss Bridge which crosses the canal. Also Lady Mabel`s Wood in Haigh Plantations, Wigan.
Check the sightings forum on www.manchesterbirding.com

Sorry this is a bit late but for the last 4/5 years I have been guaranteed a cuckoo on Holcombe Moor not far from the army range. I have not been there this year...but I have heard that it turned up this year.

late reply, but for cuckoo, there is one at ambers wood in hindley, wigan every year. walk around the lake in may and you should hear it and be able to track it down from there. it always seems to be in the same place near the lake.

i saw a green woodpecker at pennington flash just last week, it was on a telegraph pole right by the car park. not the main car park, but the small one near the tip and canal crossing at lowton.

I managed to see from a distance a Greenie last week in Styal country park,
It was pecking away at the ground and as I tried to get closer off it went into the woods:t:

Thanks to all for the replies

Last edited:
Hi hangarman2k,

I'm a relative novice compared to most of the birders on here. I also have struggled to find birds that should be relatively easy to see (e.g. Little Owl). One thing I have found useful is the county bird report for manchester which gives you some ideas of where to try looking. Obviously this works best for the types of birds that tend to stay put for a while like ducks and waders. Another thing that has helped me is talking to other birders when out in the field (that's how I found the Little Owl). I hadn't seen many Green Woodpeckers either, then went for a weeks cottage holiday in Suffolk and one visited the garden every day.

Gary

Hi,
Hi,
We have had a far off glimse of a cuckoo on Astley moss too. First left over the bridge as you drive in and it was in the tree tops on the other side of the fields.

We have seen Green woodpeckers at Moore reserve near Warrington regularly, usually in the trees to the right of the road to the feeding station and by the feeding station.

http://www.wrg.co.uk/moorenaturereserve/default.asp

We also saw one at Watergrove resevoir above Rochdale. It was in a tree down from the path just out of the car park and stayed for ages ! Have also seen Bramblings in winter there. Redwings, fieldfares are there too and we saw Wheatears up on the moor above in spring. There are supposed to be Ring Ouzels up there too but we havent seen them yet ?

If you go to Manchester Chinatown early before the traffic etc starts you can sometimes see the odd black redstart around too ?

Hope that helps ?

btw I was SO shocked they shot the ruddy ducks at Wigan flashes ! They stay there over winter or did ?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back