• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deleting Non Posters (1 Viewer)

SHOULD NON POSTERS BE DELETED

• YES

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • NO

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • DONT CARE

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
I have had Some E mails from members, asking me if Im going to delete those people that have joined, and not posted anything,
as I put this site together for you (members) I will leave it to you to decide. PLEASE VOTE it is anonymous so dont worry.
I have to say to all of you who have contributed, THANK YOU:t:
with the long winter nights closing in lets hope we get more to join, and perhaps turn Birdforum into a worldwide club. I have 150 metal badges and caps with the logo on,so if you want one or both just say so in post reply. I will then mail you for an address, in confidence I assure you. BADGE AND CAP ARE FREE
I think the way you have all helped eachother and been very welcoming to new members is outstanding, and I would like to thank you all for making birdforum a warm and friendly place, for all levels of birders. Most of us are aware that there are some real stars amongst us, and I would like to thank you all for the wonderful pictures and postings, I think we all agree that despite the world we live in being a little unstable at the moment,civility and kindness on this site from people from all over the world, makes it worthwhile.

regards to you all

steve

Hi Steve,
I would like very much to have the badge and cap with the BirdForum logo and I would wear them proudly. I tell people about BirdForum every chance I get and I have made links to it at my website.

You have written words of wisdom in this thread starter. Birdforum is a haven of peace where we can all come together and for that I thank you very much.

As far as I am concerned, it's OK with me if members just look and don't post. These people may not have anything to contribute but can learn from looking.BUT, what I object to is the person who registers, posts a few photos, gets his web address on the member list and then you never hear from them again. These people joined for selfish reasons usually posting "Come see more of my photos at www.joeshmo.whatever". I say, give 'em the axe!

Steve

I couldn't put it better myself. I would be proud to receive both cap and badge. How much are they?

I am only new to this forum but already I am feeling at ease and hopefully I have contrubuted some good stuff so far. You will find me a talkative person once I get going.

Regarding helping anyone I have always advocated that and you will possibly see, from a reply I have just posted to the Welsh Falcon, I have already started to do that.

Regarding members not posting. My belief, for what it is worth, would be based on the following. When a person joins they might be a bit shy, or not sure of themselves enough to start posting straight away. They might be, what we term as lurking to see what the other postings are like. Give each new member a month from registering and if no postings are not made by then either delete them or, if possible, send them an e-mail asking if they want to stay a member, but mention that they have to start contributing, and then give them another week. If they still don't contribute then delete them without further warning. How does that sound.

Regards
John J

After having a quick 'count up' (I have no life) I realise that 122 of our 234 Members have never spoken a word! Thats... erm (*taps random numbers into calculator*) 52% of the people in here! Come on guys we don't bite! Although this is a pretty low lurking rate for a community like this we can still do better!

Having said this the site has taken off faster than anyone could have expected - the photos are astounding and the amount of conversation mind blowing!

Oh and by the way, I like the sound of a get together...

Green Fields
AKA Kerazee
AKA Oxygen69
(Oliver)

PS Wheres my cap and badge?

Hi Steve, count me in for a cap and a metal badge if you have enough to go around. I know you state they're free but I'm sure members wouldn't mind contributing to the cost/postage after all the effort you have put in in order to bring us this marvellous site. I agree the site couldn't operate without the members contributions, but you are the one who had the foresight and initiative to bring Birdforum into existence !

I know we've already discussed none posters, but to reiterate, I don't mind so much the non posting as long as people are gaining some benefit from the site. Provided people are at least logging in, then I don't mind, but of course their participation is far preferred as the postings are what make the site more enjoyable for everyone ;) People should still have the option as to whether they want to post or not as they may have good reason for not doing so.

Other sites of which I am or have been a member tend to automatically delete members who have registered but then not returned to log in - they are time wasters and of no benefit to Birdforum. Typically the time period is 60 days, which I think is pretty reasonable.

deleting

I have never posted on here, in fact this is my first.
terrific site, just a little overawed I guess, but here it is:eat:
are you sure you dont bite?
Badge and cap for me please, keep up the good work steve and thanks8-P

Mike.

deleteing non posters

Hi Steve/ All

Dodgy subject this really, some people I am sure join so they can dip in and out as the need takes them, however at some point (they may be new to this computer lark) they might just make a valid contribution and get hooked, could be only a bit of confidence. When there are many stunning pix by regular contributors or clever and educated onitholgical comments posted, (as there already are) it is most likely very daunting for a less experienced birder/digiscoper/photographer to post.

Will this qualify for the cap and badge.

Best regards

Nige

Yes please to cap and badge Steve :)

I think I quite like John J's idea - I like the idea that folks get a chance to post followed by a reminder etc etc

BUT I also am of the opinion that not everyone will want to join in and we may be denying some shy folks from sharing this oasis of knowledge and good will. I can't think of any other 'learning' environment (college, uni, school....) where the quiet ones would be asked to leave.........

El Annie:t:

Hi Steve, if people can browse without joining there seems to be no point in non posting members. However, I know I've done my fair share of lurking, so if someone joins and doesn't post maybe they should be reminded from time to time of their membership.

Dylan.

hello Mike (wowbagger):t:

Steve,
Put me down for a cap and badge. I need the former to keep the sun off what I have recently discovered to be the beginnings of a bald patch.
To be serious, I agree with Marysan's post of some people just getting a 'free' plug of their own website. However, with the non-posters, my answer to the deletion would be maybe and my reason for this answer is that the site is new and more importantly we are just getting to the darker nights (northern hemisphere only) when maybe more people get on their puter more. Once some of these start posting they may continue, so in summary, give them a bit more time, say until the New Year and then either delete them or remind them with a 'threat' of deletion or ask the question again.

How about a 'New Year Winter Clean' on the 1st of Jan 2003? Anyone who's been a member for 3 months or more and hasn't said a word, as well as anyone who joined more than 2 months ago who hasn't logged in since?

Whilst we're on the subject, anyone who may be reading these posts whos having problems logging in then please feel free to email me on [email protected] and i'll try and sort it out.

Count me in for a hat and badge, Ive got no problem advertising your great site....as for the quiet people????

mmmmmm how long as has the site been running ???

I think a nice email, asking members if they want to continue as such after 2 or 3 months, is more than sufficient.No reply , than I think you are with in your right to dump them;)

I'd like to bet that the people who voted 'Yes'.... are the ones that are 'compulsive posters' on BirdForum... and if I'm correct on that score... 'shame on you!!!' :-C

This kinda thing really bugs me, if people don't want to post, they simply 'don't want to post',.... it's no big deal.

They may simply feel that they are part of a community, just by being a member... they also may derive a great deal of pleasure just from popping by and reading what others have posted. Are they harming anybody by not posting themselves? I think not!!!

Isn't this place suppose to be full of 'live and let live' kinda people? Or does that simply apply to birds and other wildlife, with a total disregard to humans?

For Gods sake,.... those who voted 'Yes',..... have some compassion!!!

Ouch JW that was a bit on the harsh side - you having a bad hair day :)

Definition of compulsive - having an uncontrollable urge or desire.....

Well, I guess as a prolific writer of posts I would be one of those you have described as a 'compulsive' poster, feeling a tad offended by this - there's nothing 'compulsive' about it, I quite simply enjoy this site tremendously and want to be as involved as possible. I do not have an 'uncontrollable' desire or urge to post, on the contrary my posting is very controlled and carefully thought out.

As for the survey I voted no.

El Annie

Ditto. If it weren't for the posters, compulsive or not, this site wouldn't be nearly so intertesting. Matter of fact, without posters this site would be nothing.

It wasn't meant to offend anybody Annie, not even you ;) .. and I do agree that people who post keep the site going.

However, I do find it slightly strange that people who are close to 'earth matters' could be 'all for' ousting others from the site if they don't want to post! Do people not care about the feelings of another human anymore?

We're all 'different',... in that, some people enjoy posting their knowledge/happenings..... and others don't (maybe they don't feel 'qualified' enough? they have their own reasons).... but it shouldn't make them feel that they're not 'good enough' to be a member just because they don't post,... or worse still... 'pressured to post' with the threat of being thrown out it they don't!

I can name LOTS of forums used by people that have an amazing amount of members, but I reckon they're lucky to get a tenth of their members that actually post anything,.... it doesn't stop them being a part of the site though.

Can you imagine how some of the 'non-participating' members of this site must be feeling, reading through this thread, seeing the poll... and knowing that some of the members think they should be 'thrown out'?

If we can be kind to birds and wildlife..... can we not be kind to each other? :-C

PS: As for the 'bad hair day'.... have you seen my hair? You've been peeping haven't ya? ;)

(sorry in advance, I'm in debating mode)

If more " people who are close to 'earth matters' " got off their bums and contributed rather than observing from a distance the world might be a better place?
Bird-FORUM to me means active discussion & contribution as opposed to normal websites which are for viewing without necessarily contributing.
I understand that people 'lurk' for a while (done it myself), but feel they should be encouraged to join in. Maybe when entering the site without logging in there should be a prominent reminder that this forum is only as good as the contibuters and encourage them to join in?

Jenny, I think I originally voted to kick non posters, you've convinced me that's a bit strong.

Dylan.

Jenny Wren, having made on or two posts myself ;) , I feel a bit like I have been 'tarred' :( - particularly as I voted No !

I think the issue shouldn't have been about 'none posting' members but about whether once someone has registered on the site that they ever return again. I see little point in keeping them on the membership list. Neither they nor Birdforum benefit in the slightest.

Dylan, ElAnnie, Marysan are right, the Birdforum is nothing at all without members postings. Steve provided the blank pages, very well dsigned at that ;) , but without members contributions they would remain blank.

Having said that I believe in members having the right to decide for themselves as to whether they wish to post or not. If not, so be it, at least they are still benefitting. At some point they may change their minds or pass word along to other potential members.

I post as I'd like to see the site succeed and by doing so others may be encouraged to follow suit. I think it's a great resource from which I have learnt a great deal and genuinely find interesting. Admittedly, for a couple of months now I have had a fair amout of time on my hands and have been able to visit regularly, but that will no doubt change again.

I agree that such a title to the discussion may offend some people, but perhaps it is an issue that needed to be raised. Anyway it's done now and I'll get off my soapbox :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back