• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare falcons massacred in Cyprus (1 Viewer)

Sickening.

It's hard to understand where the Cypriots are coming from with this sort of behaviour. 10 years ago I spent a couple of weeks in Paphos and the people seemed very friendly and genuinely welcoming and then this..........

At this time of year a lot of us are thinking of where to take the family away on holiday next year and in many respects Cyprus has a lot going for it. Undoubtedly now they've joined the EU they'll be receiving lots of funding to help develop the tourist trade.

Well as far as I'm concerned they're wasting their time. Until they begin to take this sort this sort of behaviour seriously I'll never return. What's more I'll encourage everybody else I know to boycott Cyprus. And as for the funding I'll be contacting my MEP and will be asking that they vote against any type of financial support or funding for Cyprus until they stop hunting threatened or endangered birds.

Next time the British army hear a bit of gunfire I hope they'll show a bit more common sense and shoot back.

Vile cruelty

So this happened on a part of Cyprus that we (British) are responsible for.

Who do we complain to? :C

It's hard to look at that report without despairing. I still visit Cyprus in spring for the migration and cannot recall having heard one gunshot.
This definitely shows the other side of the story.
What is it about people who injure and kill things for their own pleasure - perverted.

So this happened on a part of Cyprus that we (British) are responsible for.

Who do we complain to? :C

For background, see http://www.ukotcf.org/territories/cyprus.htm I'd also be interested to know of recent campaign efforts. It seems letters have been written in the past to the most senior British administrator on the island, the Commander British Forces Cyprus. Here's a 2002 reply from him (not sure if it is still the same chap now) http://www.proact-campaigns.net/responsecyprus/id25.html

Graham

Last edited:
This is so sickening. When I think what pleasure these lovely birds give when they're spotted in the sky.

Can anyone give a site name to complain to?

Sandra

Thanks Graham - your e-mail hadn't shown up when I sent mine.

Last edited:
And in Greece 32 Corncrakes. (YES 32!!) were gunned down by 3 hunters along with 1 Spotted Crake and Quail on Lesvos. The species is considered a vagrant...but I dout it will after this...

If anyone want to protest please sign the petition found here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=96813

And when you go to the island next year, be sure to tell the locals what you think of their birds...

This must stop!

Dimitris

(source: eoebirding mailing list)

Last edited:
I can't imagine a UN army force invade Cyprus and eradicate everyone with a shotgun, but in a Darwinistic kind of way this might actually help.

Did I say that? I'm so sorry, I got carried away. Of course I would never allow that to happen! UN are mostly famous for reasoning with people who can't be reasoned with.

Shameful greetings, Ronald

I can't imagine a UN army force invade Cyprus and eradicate everyone with a shotgun, but in a Darwinistic kind of way this might actually help.

Did I say that? I'm so sorry, I got carried away. Of course I would never allow that to happen! UN are mostly famous for reasoning with people who can't be reasoned with.

Shameful greetings, Ronald

I see I put it wrongly. It should read " everyone carrying a shotgun ".
Just to prevent misunderstanding the entire population is eradicated by UN shotguns.

Why the Surprise?

I strongly agree with all writers of the above replies. Great to see such agreement on an issue of this nature.
But why the surprise? This situation has been extant on Cyprus for as long as guns have existed. They shoot absolutely everything, and always have.
Those of you who've been there will have seen the signs in wilderness areas marking 'Wildlife Reserve' and 'Bird Reserve'. You may not have realised it, but these areas are reserved for the sole purpose of KILLING all wildlife and birds, not for them to take refuge in!
On a recent trip my wife and I found so many spent shotgun cartridges amongst the gravel at the carpark and viewing areas just inside some of these 'Reserves' that we collected them into heaps. In some places we were able to gather enough cartridges in an area the size of a coach to fill between one and four wheelbarrows to overflowing! It seems that the Cypriot 'hunters' aren't even bothered about walking into the bush, and just step out of the car and start discharging weapons at a rate that would disgrace a helicopter gunship in Vietnam, then just drive off leaving heaps of smoking ammunition and presumably similar sized heaps of dead migrants and their favorite, I'm told, Black Francolins.
It speaks wonders about the resillience of mother nature that any populations of birds still survive at all. What a wonderland for eco-tourism Cyprus could become if wildlife was allowed to take it's natural course there. It's pretty damned good now under a murderous hail of fire, and must have the potential to become one of the greatest destinations in the Western Palearctic if left to flourish. The rest of us subsist under the massive load of legislation from Brussels which controls our every move - about time Cyprus was brought into line too? This stuff can't go on in the EC, maybe someone should offer them the choice: Compliance or Sanctions.
Paul

Last edited:
'Those of you who've been there will have seen the signs in wilderness areas marking 'Wildlife Reserve' and 'Bird Reserve'. You may not have realised it, but these areas are reserved for the sole purpose of KILLING all wildlife and birds, not for them to take refuge in!'

Paul you have summerised it up in one big sentence here. Fully in agreement here.

I find it very depressing to read this report, and to see 52 of these beautiful birds shot at one time too. To kill them is one thing *sigh* of sadness. To leave them still alive, injured, and suffering is another thing grrrr. :C

It is just the odd few that spoil everything for others. I feel cross to see to these images of mass destruction. Sorry this is how I feel about this. :C

I think that some countires and their gun hoo attitude has gone too far, and should be controlled now, and not later. The gun laws should be tightened up big time.

I still think the gun law is far to lasped in Cyprus, and other counteries too, and it will never change until some serious re-education is in order here.

The Police should be trained to take this crime seriously too. This will prevent anymore of this unneccessary suffering.

I have a lot of things on a wish list here, but will things ever change for the better?

Regards
Kathy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back