• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holger’s Binocular Book - in English in 2023! (3 Viewers)

AND in hardcover - just got mine.

Having had a very brief look at it, I realized it's not just a translation of the 2nd edition in German, but has been rewritten, amended and freshly illustrated in numerous places.
I (unfortunately ;)) have no finder's fee or other advantage, but will still strongly recommend this book to as many forum members as possible.
When this and the upcoming book by Neil English are both available, we will have excellent resources at our hands and the niveau of our binocular discussions could substantially improve (I am sure you will agree there is room for improvement, correct?).

Canip
IMG_3789.jpg

… hopefully mine is on the Eurostar in bound, wasn’t expecting for a few more weeks. If it arrives soon, should I wrap it for a Xmas present or just go ahead and enjoy??

Peter

I just received my sample copies and it is clear now that also the printed version of the book is ready ahead of schedule. On the Springer page some of the material can be downloaded for free, which should offer some information about the contents and goals of this book.

Thanks and cheers,
Holger

Will get a copy Amazon has it in Hardcover. Noticed the other binocular book out has a brand binocular on the cover, I take it is a sponsor?

Will get a copy Amazon has it in Hardcover. Noticed the other binocular book out has a brand binocular on the cover, I take it is a sponsor?

Actually, my German edition also has a binocular sketch on its front page (a Leica Noctivid; the 1st edition had a Swarovski EL). Well, they gave permissions to use these pictures, and that was it - I didn't receive money for that. But the 2nd edition has a double-page advertisement featuring APM-Telescope binoculars and this helped reducing the production costs a little bit. A sponsor can be a good thing for such a project and it doesn't (and shouldn't) imply any bias regarding the contents. I was given a few templates among which I had to choose for the front cover of my book, and these also included one with a choice picture, but since The Binocular Handbook is a technical guide, rather than a buyers guide, I preferred to keep it plain and simple.

Cheers,
Holger

"In summary, subliminal messages are hidden words or images that are not consciously perceived but may influence one's attitudes and behaviors. The use of subliminal messages - especially in advertising - has been controversial for decades."

My post above about subliminal commercial was obviously a joke (maybe the Commander on Canip's desk was simply used as a paperweight....). Seriously now, I found emails from 2015 in which I was discussing with Holger possible publishers for his Binoculars book. It has taken a while but has finally happened. Congratulations to Holger on the publication of the English (expanded) edition!

Last edited:
My post above about subliminal commercial was obviously a joke (maybe the Commander on Canip's desk was simply used as a paperweight....). Seriously now, I found emails from 2015 in which I was discussing with Holger possible publishers for his Binoculars book. It has taken a while but has finally happened. Congratulations to Holger on the publication of the English (expanded) edition!
Peter, I agree it was obviously a joke. I confess as I read, my brain stuck on the word subliminal and went, "subliminal, subliminal, Hmm... I know that word, that's not quite it." So went looking without thinking about it much and posted that above. Apologies if that offended.

Thanks Peter! Yes, it has been a long process. In 2015 I have already been thinking about making that English edition, but then postponed the plan while I worked on the 2nd German edition. Canip kept on pushing me and he was even so kind helping me translating some sample chapters for the publisher's evaluation boards. Eventually, it was Neil who got me in contact with the right people at Springer. In other words: Without the support of some of you guys here on the forum, the book project would still be pending and perhaps delayed by another couple of years. So it is my turn now to say many thanks to all of you who have encouraged me or who actively helped me realizing this book!

Cheers,
Holger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back