- Alectoris barbara
34–38 cm (13¼-15 in)
- Light grey face and throat
- Broad rufous neck collar with white spots
- Dark reddish brown central crown stripe
- Blue grey shoulders and back
- Rufous-streaked white flanks
- Red legs
Alectoris barbara has four subspecies:
- A. b. koenigi:
- A. b. barbara:
- A. b. spatzi:
- A. b. barbata:
Dry, open and often hilly country.
The nest is a ground scrape. The 8-16 eggs are incubated for 24 days.
The diet includes insects and seeds.
Call: tree-tree-tree chehche
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Collins Bird Guide ISBN 0 00 219728 6