- Ptilinopus melanospilus
- Yellowy bill and iris
- Pale grey head
- Black nape
- Yellow throat
- Golden yellow and pink undertail coverts
Female and young birds have entirely green plumages.
There are 5 subspecies:
- P.m.bangueyensis: Southern Philippines and islands off northern Borneo
- P.m.xanthorrhous: Talaud Islands, Sangihe Island (Sulawesi) and Doi Island (northern Moluccas)
- P.m.melanospilus: Sulawesi, Talisei, Bangka, Lembeh and Togian islands
- P.m.chrysorrhous : Banggai Island, Sula Island and southern Moluccas (Obi and Seram)
- P.m.melanauchen: Matasiri Island, Java, Lesser Sundas and islands south of Sulawesi
Lowland and hill forests.
The diet includes fruits, figs and berries.
The clutch consists of a single white egg.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2014. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.9., with updates to August 2014. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Black-naped Fruit Dove. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 19 September 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Black-naped_Fruit_Dove