- Tringa nebularia
- Grey-brown upperparts
- Pale underparts
- Dark grey flecks on head and neck
- Narrow white eye ring
- Dark outer-wing
- White rump and back
- Dark to green-grey long, upward curved bill
- Yellowish-green long legs
- Bold black chevrons on chest
- Heavily streaked and marked upper body
Subspecies glottoides is not recognised by most authorities.
Coastal areas and inland, estuaries, mudflats, mangrove swamps, lagoons, swamps, and flooded crops.
The diet includes insects, worms, molluscs, small fish and crustaceans.
The male builds the nest, a shallow depression lined with feathers and vegetation. Both sexes share the incubation and the raising of the young.
Song: repetitive and persistant clu_wee" delivered in high flight.
- Clements, JF. 2010. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2010. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/Clements%206.5.xls/view
- Collins Bird Guide ISBN 0 00 219728
- Birds in Backyards
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Common Greenshank. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 16 October 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Common_Greenshank