Alternative name: Crested Madagascar Coucal
- Coua cristata
- Grey crest
- Blue orbital skin
- Rufous breast
- White belly
- Long purple-blue tail with white tip
- Brown iris
- Black bill
- Black legs
Endemic to Madagascar.
There are 4 subspecies:
- C. c. cristata:
- Northern and eastern Madagascar (south to Mahajanga)
- C. c. dumonti:
- Western Madagascar (Mahajanga to Morondava)
- C. c. pyropyga:
- South-western Madagascar (Morondava and Toliara to Amboasary)
- C. c. maxima:
- South-eastern Madagascar (Tolagnaro region)
Savanna, forest and brushland to 900m.
The diet includes insects, berries, seeds, fruit and snails.
The nest is built from twigs. The clutch consists of 2 white eggs.
- Clements, JF. 2010. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2010. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/Clements%206.5.xls/view
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Crested Coua. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 11 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Crested_Coua