- Haematopus ostralegus
40–47·5 cm (15¾-18¾ in)
- Black above
- White below
- White wing and tail patches
- Red legs
- Strong broad red bill
- Winter - white band across the throat interrupting the otherwise black neck
- Juvenile - brown with white neck band and dull bill. Bill is still growing after they reach the ability to fly.
There are 3 subspecies:
- H. o. ostralegus - Iceland and Scandinavia to south Europe; winters to Africa
- H. o. longipes - Russia to Siberia and south to Caspian Sea and Aral Sea; winters to India
- H. o. osculans - Kamchatka Peninsula and North Korea; winters east China
Beaches and coast in winter. Breeds in upload grassy areas.
The diet includes molluscs, mussels and earthworms.
They nest in a scrape on pebbles which may be on the coast, riverside or in grassy fields and even upland moors. The clutch consists of 2-4 eggs which are coloured buff to yellow possibly with a greenish tint; there are variable markings of streaks and spots from greyish to black. There is a single clutch, usually in May.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Wikipedia contributors. (2018, July 26). Eurasian oystercatcher. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 08:11, October 9, 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Eurasian_oystercatcher&oldid=852049524 Wikipedia
- Chandler, R. (2009). Shorebirds of North America, Europe, and Asia: A photographic guide. Princeton.
- Hockey, P., Kirwan, G.M. & Boesman, P. (2018). Eurasian Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus). In: del Hoyo, J., Elliott, A., Sargatal, J., Christie, D.A. & de Juana, E. (eds.). Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. (retrieved from https://www.hbw.com/node/53753 on 9 October 2018).
- Evans, G. & Swain, H.D. (1985). Observers Book of Birds Eggs. Frederick Warne.
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Eurasian Oystercatcher. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 22 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Eurasian_Oystercatcher