- Centropus unirufus
- Rufous plumage
- Yellow bare skin around eye
- Light brown eye
- Greenish bill with yellow tip
Sexes similar, juveniles similar with hair-like down on head and black bill.
Endemic to northern Philippines (Luzon, Polillo and Catanduanes).
Uncommon and local. Threatened by rapid habitat loss.
Hill forest, tangled lowland forest with bamboo.
Usually seen near the ground but also in trees.
No information about diet and breeding.
A resident species.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, B.L. Sullivan, C. L. Wood, and D. Roberson. 2013. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.8., with updates to August 2013. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliot, and J Sargatal, eds. 1997. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 4: Sandgrouse to Cuckoos. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8487334221
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Rufous Coucal. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 11 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Rufous_Coucal