|This article is incomplete.
This article is missing one or more sections. You can help the BirdForum Opus by expanding it.
Alternative name: Senegal Canary
- Crithagra canicapilla
West and west-central Africa.
Three subspecies recognized:
- C. c. canicapilla from Guinea to Central African Republic
- C. c. montanorum in the Highlands of east Nigeria and west Cameroon
- C. c. elgonensis from South Sudan to west Kenya
Formerly considered conspecific with Streaky-headed Seedeater (and still included in that species by Clements).
Open woodland and scrub, including savanna, orchards, and gardens.
It builds a compact cup nest in scrub.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Gill, F and D Donsker (Eds). 2015. IOC World Bird Names (version 5.3). Available at http://www.worldbirdnames.org/.
- Dickinson, EC, ed. 2014. The Howard and Moore Complete Checklist of the Birds of the World. 4th ed. Princeton: Princeton Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0956861122
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) West African Seedeater. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 2 March 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/West_African_Seedeater