• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poor DSLR results (1 Viewer)

Hargrek

I have recently had problems with my Nikon D70s & Sigma 150-500mm lens not talking to each other! The camera was repaired by Nikon 12 mths ago. Camera is fairly old now and the lens was bought approx 3 yrs ago.

Recent photo's have been very soft: I always shoot handheld and usually at 500mm - so I know that there is likely to be a bit of camera shake and soft imaging.

Can anyone tell from these images whether I have another camera/lens problem or is it my shooting/expectations.?

I am seriously thinking of going down the digiscoping route, for lightweight gear and from what I have seen on this web better results than my DSLR.

Many thanks in advance

Karen

Attachments

• web-crane.jpg
    web-crane.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 54
  • web-avocet.jpg
    web-avocet.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 55
Hey Karen,

I can't see too much wrong with the shots youve posted. I think the distance of the birds could be why youre feeling the images are a little soft. This can occur due to various factors i.e heat haze as well as working outside the 'ideal' range of the lens itself. Its easy to think a lens at 500mm should be able to pull in a distant subject and make it look good; not always the case.

Work to find the ideal range of your particular lens; try shooting subjects closer.

You could always try your setup on a tripod, to see if that makes a difference; or rest your lens on a portable beanbag.

Digiscoping, whilst great fun can be just as frustrating, if not more so. You will definitely need to use a tripod and avoid any vibrations/camera shake due to the increased magnifications.

Hope this helps a little :)

Hi there Karen and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hello Karen, just wanted to add another warm welcome to the forum.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back