• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help pls Which phone/ compact camera? (1 Viewer)

Jhanlon

I currently use a Canon DSLR set up with 100-400mm lens and for more distant subjects I digiscope with a Canon 90mm pancake lens on my DSLR body OR I phonescope with my Apple iphone XR, taking stills and/ or video. While the handheld digi option gives me reach and detail, the pics tend to be dark, soft and (with a typically high ISO) quite grainy; with the iphone the image is brighter but general quality is usually too poor when viewed on a laptop, especially in lower light situations. I think this may be due to the size of the camera sensor.

I'm toying with the idea of an iphone upgrade. A budget of a few hundred pounds (maybe £5-600) might rule out a new version of the latest model but what could I get for this much? The camera specs of different models are hard to understand when I try to compare them. Or is there a comparable compact camera I should consider instead of phonescoping?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back