• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID by description (1 Viewer)

Birding5000

Saw a new LBB today. Didn't have enough time to get the camera ready, so I gotta go by description:

I'm guessing some sort of sparrow. The base color was a very drab brown, almost an olive. Had an orange mohawk i'd say it looked like, with a black stripe on both sides. Almost the color orange/brown you'd see on top of a chipping sparrows head. It went straight back though. And the breast area was pretty heavily streaked with brown.

The bird itself was a little bit bigger than you'd see from a chipping sparrow. And it was on the ground when I spotted it, but unlike a lot of other ground birds, it didn't hop, rather it walked like a pigeon or dove would.

Location was the NE part of the US. If you have even a guess of what this might be I'd be glad to hear it.

***Edit - I think I may have found it doing various random sparrow related searches on Yahoo!. It may have been an ovenbird. Here's a description from the Cornell University All about Birds site:

" * Small songbird.
* Olive brown back.
* White underside with bold, dark streaked spots.
* White eyering.
* Orange crown bordered by black stripes."

If there are any other guesses, I'd still like to hear em, because although it sounds and looks about right, i'm still not 100 percent.

Last edited:
Only similar looking bird would be the wood thrush, but it lacks the orange mohawk pattern with the black streaks. And after looking at more pictures, i'm now pretty darn certain it was an ovenbird.

As I was reading your description I was thinking Ovenbird. They do spend a lot of time on the ground, and are very orangey. Streaks would also fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back