• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland in September (2 Viewers)

Jose Ramon

Hi everyone,

I am probably going to Switzerland September next year and I will have some time to bird.

I am in the first steps of looking for information about interesting birds and places.

I have found the following interesting birds for me:

- Three-toed Woodpecker
- Nutcracker
- Hazel Grouse
- Capercaillie

Interesting mammals could be the Ibex (Capra ibex)

Could anybody give me some information about the status of these species in September?

I guess that september is too late for mountains birds but I would like to know if I still have any chace to see any of them.

I would like also to know the best place in Switzeland to watch theses birds.

Finally, if there is any proffesional birdwatching guide/company available in Switzerland specialized in mountain birds.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Hi Jose,

did you check out the Opus sites for Switzerland? That may be a good place to start for info on birding in Switzerland: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Switzerland

For your target birds:

Nutcracker is easy anywhere in mountainous forests and easy to find around the year, best near the tree limit.

Three-toed Woodpecker is quite secretive and difficult to find outside mating season.

Capercaille and Hazel grouse are even more difficult to find. Capercaille is pretty rare and Hazel grouse also very secretive. For both, no detailed location info are given publicly for protection reasons.

The Swiss national park is one area where you potentially can find all of them, other interesting areas (not necessarily for your target birds, but for mountain birds in general) are Leuk or the Aletsch area (where you may also find some sort of naturalist guiding, though probably not focussed on birding).

Regards,
Florian

Hazel Grouse is very hard to find.
Catercaille is easier to find outside hiking season like April or October/ November.
Other chance is follow old hiking ways, which already covered with plants, so they are only to follow with excellent locak knowledge or GPS.

Hi Jose - Which area of Switzerland are you visiting? I lived in Zurich from October 2009 to the end of March 2010 and found some great places to go birding within a 25 mile radius of the city.

The forests around Marthalen, Lower Zurichsee around Rapperswil/Jona, Flachsee, Greifensee, Klingnauerstausee and the woods to the north, River Aare around Rupperswil, Kaltbrunnerriet etc etc.

One of the best birding sites I know is www.ornitho.ch give that a try, you should be able to find many great sites in the areas that you intend to visit.

Have a look at the superb website www.ornitho.ch which splits sightings into the various cantons. This is what I did when we moved to Zurich. Obviously search for sites around Bern and get a feel for the better areas based on sightings.

A great trip out (not necessarily birding) is to go to the top of Mount Pilatus, near Luzern, via cog railway and cable car. I had Nutcracker on one of my visits there and also Alpine Chough at the summit are regular.

Regards

Mark

Hi Jose,

ornitho.ch is good, but for some endangered species, including Capercaille and Hazel Grouse, no info is given there.

There are some good sites not far from Bern.

Fanel at the Lake of Neuchatel is an excellent wetland, especially for migrating birds: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Fanel_-_Chablais_de_Cudrefin

Gurnigel is a moutain pass not far from Bern, excellent for raptor and passerine migration in automn.

Niederhorn is a good site for all sorts of mountain birds, including all of your target species: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Niederhorn

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back