• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most bang for budget buck - Pro Optic 8 x 42 8.3 ED? (1 Viewer)

Jerry, I am very grateful to the feedbacks from you, fireform, Steve and all of our customers who posted on this forum. Designing the 7x36 ED2 has been a very humbling experience for us. But through this excercise, the revised 7x36 ED2 really delivers what it is designed for, thanks to the close feedback loop with our customers. The most critical fixes were dicovered and designed by ourselves, which allowed us to bring the 7x36 back much sooner than expected.

When we started the zen-ray several years ago, we never intended to become another Swarovski or Leupold ( I have great respect for both companies for what they have achieved). We just wanted to produce some excellent binoculars at a cost that ordinary people can afford. It's true we didn't have 100+ years in history. There is nothing we can do about it either ;). However, what we can do are to continue improving product quality and to treat every customer the way we want ourselves to be treated. That's our promise.

Last edited:
I sent an email to Xian opto-electronic co. ltd because i'm curious, Adorama has not responded yet, and there isn't a single review that I can find online. They responded within hours.

They said that they have been manufacturing OEM binoculars for famous brands such as Nikon, Minolta, Bushnell, Viking, Vixen etc over years and have been manufacturing for over 15 years. The model I had an interest in they say had a good reputation at the 2008 photokina fair.

In tests they compared closely to SWAROVSKI new EL 8.5X42, OLD EL 8.5x42, ZEISS VICTORY FL 8X42, ULTRAVID HD 8X42 but in edge of view and chromatic aberration they were slightly inferior to SWAROVSKI new EL 8.5X42.

I'm pretty sure their minimum order is 50.

I had the chance today to go to the Audubon society store and look through their binoculars. I tried Vortex and thought they were really nice. I tried Zeiss FL and my reaction was WOW! Now I know what people mean by feeling like being there rather than seeing the image through binoculars.

They (Audubon) apparently sold out of Zen Ray. Speaking of Zen Ray, it's really great that they have such a good working relationship with the manufacturer and they both, seemingly, have customer's satisfaction as a number one priority. Because of Zen Ray, the manufacturer has a more direct line in what the customer wants and is able to make adjustments quickly. That is one aspect that builds reputation and integrity. I believe integrity - more so personal integrity is one of mankind's scarcest commodities.

Last edited:
They said that they have been manufacturing OEM binoculars for famous brands such as Nikon, Minolta, Bushnell, Viking, Vixen etc over years and have been manufacturing for over 15 years. The model I had an interest in they say had a good reputation at the 2008 photokina fair.

That's a better response that you get from most OEMs!

I asked a couple of Chinese OEMs about bins that they made but didn't seem to be for sale in the US in some brand if they could tell me if any of those bins were actually sold in the US by some company I'd not heard of. They wouldn't tell me yes or no.

The model I had an interest in they say had a good reputation at the 2008 photokina fair.

The 2008? That seems like a long time ago?

Thanks for following up on this.

I saw this over at amazon: Pro Optic 8 x 42 8.3 ED for $200. What do you think? Is it a re-brand or re-badge of a (well) known Chinese manufacture? The Center Focus, Center Diopter sounds interesting to me.

21yrgbmuhflsl500aa200.jpg

Technical Details

* ED Glass
* Open Hinge Roof System
* BAK4 Prism
* Center Focus, Center Diopter
* FMC, Phase Coating

I'm thinking of buying this or the latest Zen Ray Summit with dielectric coating (when it comes out)

Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Monarch 8x42. Best bang for the buck. Try to get them below $200.00. I got mine for 170.00 shipped.

+

Binoculars are indeed a compromise, especially under $500
Looking just at specs is a very tricky situation, it doesn't tell the whole story.

In the last several months, I'v tested {days testing each} 9 different roof bins,..
from Zen-Ray ED2s' to Atlas Intrepid,..Vipers and Monarchs..Pentax SP & EDs' + a few others.
They are all good in there own right.

The only bin I'v kept are the Alpen Wings ED {8X}

They are smaller in size & have very comparable views to other ED bins.
The brightness/contrast and clarity is great;
I'm sensitive to chromatic aberrations; on a clear, searingly bright snow covered day,
it was actually hard to find CA with the 8X Wings ED.:t:

Did I mention its view is very bright!

Well balanced, with super overall handling and light/smooth focus wheel,
the Wings ED have kept their place with me.
They are a nice pair of binoculars.

Hope that helps.

~ Alpen was started by two Bausch & Lomb engineers,
Review: http://www.optics4birding.com/alpen-wings-ed-binoculars-review.aspx

Kevin your right I was just looking at the enclosure it seem to be getting popular and I like the look clean lines. And if I was in the market now I would give the Pro Optics a try but one should compare specs thanks Kevin. So some one with 200.00 USD about 210.00 CND and lots of shipping. Please give them a try and let us know your thoughts.

Best Alan

It seems for $200 the Adorama Pro-optic ED can't be beat (as far as including ED glass). I may order them since they accept returns. I do have issue with them not answering my email though. I think the ZRS will be next and would probably be the one that I would keep. It's just that "ED" is keeping me curious.

What is missing from specs with the Pro-optic? http://www.adorama.com/PRO842.html **edit: perhaps specs such as how many elements and such would be helpful.

I haven't found Monarch bins for $200 or less and phase coating isn't listed at Amazon for them. BTW There is a new version Monarch III w/Dielectric - http://www.amazon.com/NIKON-7294-Monarch-8x42-Binocular/dp/B0033PRQB0/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Last edited:
birdazzLED give them a call. Adorama are a "New York minute" company ("You orderin' here?") but they seem to respond better to the phone than email. I suspect they get lots of clueless email from camera buyers!

And then post a review. I think there are quite a few of us curious. I suspect they must have left something out.

The FOV is in the title "Pro Optic 8 x 42 Birding Series Water Proof Roof Prism Binocular with 8.3 Degree Angle of View". And is on the focuser in the photos (take a look at the zoomed picture).

The more I look at them the more interesting simple the enclosure looks (the center diopter setting makes them more symmetrical).

The Monarch's have always been have phase coated. That was a feature on their introduction (they replaced a non-PC bin ... the Sporter).

The Monarch's have always been have phase coated. That was a feature on their introduction (they replaced a non-PC bin ... the Sporter).

Kevin,

Actually the Monarch we know replaced the non phase corrected biocular that Nikon also called the Monarch. The two Monarchs really didn't bear a lot of similarity to each other. The Sporter and the Monarch have beeen available side by side until the Sporter seems to have given way to the Trailblazer.

birdazzLED give them a call. Adorama are a "New York minute" company ("You orderin' here?") but they seem to respond better to the phone than email. I suspect they get lots of clueless email from camera buyers!

And then post a review. I think there are quite a few of us curious. I suspect they must have left something out.

The FOV is in the title "Pro Optic 8 x 42 Birding Series Water Proof Roof Prism Binocular with 8.3 Degree Angle of View". And is on the focuser in the photos (take a look at the zoomed picture).

The more I look at them the more interesting simple the enclosure looks (the center diopter setting makes them more symmetrical).

Estimated delivery Mar 16, 2010

Is there a guide to evaluating binoculars? How much does 8.3 Degree angle of view translate to FOV?

I just noticed and now it's one thing that concerns me is it's listed at Amazon and the Date first available at Amazon.com: June 17, 2003. It hard to believe that no one has purchased these or there are no reviews since......well, never.

Last edited:
I think Amazon is not doing a good job distinguishing between models.

Is there a guide to evaluating binoculars?

We don't have one but read some (e.g. FrankD) to see how it's done. The basis I think is to make comparisons between the bin under review and other bins others not. Compare and contrast different features especially ones where it succeeds well and others were is is just mediocre or fails compared to other bins. Compare it with other bins both below, equal and above the same price point. What compromises have been made? How the do the ergonomics work for you (and perhaps for others ... if you have big hands or small IPD how might it work with other folks?).

The usual things people want to know is: centerfield sharpness and edge of field sharpness and how they cary between the extremes; brightness and contrast; CA (longitudinal - center field and lateral - at edge of field); ER (does it work for you? can you see the whole field? blackouts? what about with and without glasses? Sunglass work if you don't wear glasses); stray light (how well do it deal with off axis stray light say to with 20 or 30 degrees of the sun?); FOV; focuser speed (how many turns of the knob from 10 feet to infinity).

You'll try them close to home first but take them out birding to get a feel for how they work "for real" (does the dipter setting stay set or does it get knocked about?). Birds (common ones like chikadees or even crows) make great subtle targets for evaluating bins for color rendition, contrast, CA and the like.

It's also good to notice your immediate feeling when opening the box and the how those views changed over a day or twos use and then even return and see how you feel after a week or a month or even a year. We all know the "Oh boy this is the best ever" feeling one can get with a new bin.

Read a few other bins reviews from here. There are plenty of good ones: Sancho, Steve C, FrankD, Surveyor, Ceasar, Ronh, Henry Link (a bit more technical), etc. (Apologies to anyone I've missed). Find reviews from any of the regulars and see how they do it .

How much does 8.3 Degree angle of view translate to FOV?

That's about 435ish feet at 1000 yards. On the wide side for an 8x

I'm exactly new. I just bought my first modern bin a month or so ago. However, I was able to detect, in my new bins, what Edz describes as, "an imbalance in the aberration across the field". I discovered this issue before I read his thread.

I suppose I have a good eye for detail and I learn quickly. Unfortunately, all I have to compare to is that Vixen entry level I just bought, an older Nikon porro extra wide, and several vintage German bins - oh, and the Zeiss FL I had the chance to look through a couple days ago at a store. I definitely, can see the difference.

So, I can't really compare but I can give impressions on performance through an "n00b's view" and if there seems to be irregularities. Not so great for the bin's first and only review. Perhaps this will be Adorama's first sale as it's been sitting on the shelf since 2003!

Last edited:
Thats not a bad range of bins to compare too. More in the mid range would be good but at least you have coverage of the "lower good" range and the top end. But you have certainly looked through more bins that a "n00b" ;)

It's not from 2003 ... Chinese ED glass only came to bin with the Promaster in 2008. Heck, they probably were phase coating in 2003 (I do have an older Promaster too!).

Not a bad range? Each of them were 5-15 dollar war glass and pocket bins. The Nikon 8x40 8.2 is just a cheap $60 new that I bought for $12 from a thrift store. As far as the Zeiss goes, I spent about 3 minutes looking through them. I did go to bi-mart and look at their Leopold and Nikons. The Zeiss I can go by memory because that was unforgettable

I've had an interest in anything with a lens, or just plain lens (got many from huge to tiny) for a long time but I didn't know anything about bins until I registered here.

Last edited:
The usual things people want to know is: centerfield sharpness and edge of field sharpness and how they cary between the extremes; brightness and contrast; CA (longitudinal - center field and lateral - at edge of field); ER (does it work for you? can you see the whole field? blackouts? what about

Is there some sort of image set pattern of some sort that I can download and print to place at a distance to assist in determining performance?

**edit: this is for cameras but perhaps would work: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/lens_sharpness.html

Last edited:
Not so much. Bins without a booster are resolution limited by your eye so all you end up telling us is how your eyes are working (and how much variation you have in your measurement).

You could use the USAF 1951 bars (search bin forum for USAF for links) but you must remember to use a booster after the bin to measure the resolution.

Dollar bills are handy for weeding out really bad bins but again you really need a booster.

More people I think find comparative reviews more helpful than "just the resolution numbers".

Birds do make good targets: crows against bright sky for CA; small passerines for color rendition. Trees too both the bright tops and the shade underside.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back