• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Superzoom? Dissatisfied with the Nikon P100 (1 Viewer)

Yup. I took about a dozen photos of a robin on the grass today and only one came out semi-acceptable. This is not very good but it was the best of the lot. Nikon P100.

Attachments

• DSCN6942a.jpg
    DSCN6942a.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 67
Yup. I took about a dozen photos of a robin on the grass today and only one came out semi-acceptable. This is not very good but it was the best of the lot. Nikon P100.

Exactly--that should be sharp! One would think a Nikon would be a much higher quality. I have a similar shot of a Yellow-headed Caracara. The bird is in focus but there is just a lack of sharpness. I think I would have been happier with a K-mart special. Oh well, live and learn.
Sue

Attachments

• yellow-headed Caracara.jpg
    yellow-headed Caracara.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 71
"Black-capped Pygmy Tyrant" looks like it may have suffered from high iso, and when i say high, even 400 will fuzz out detail like that. So it might have focused ok, but the small size sensor lets things down. If you can control the iso, keep it to 100.

Just as a test, photograph something handheld, then photograph it using a tripod or rest. Just to see if its technique. I used to be able to take a shot at 1/30th, but not anymore.

toad

The Canon SX30 came today. It's snowing outside so no outside test shots but....

This is a simple comparison shot. Sitting here in my chair I took a photo of a model sailing ship about 10 feet away. Flash in both cases. I cropped each photo to show the same roughly 1.5 by 1.5 inch section of the ship.

One of these is clearly very nice while the other one is not.

The nice one is the new Canon SX30. The not nice one is the Nikon P100. Both are set to best image quality. Both are on full auto.

Notice the good one is only about half the file size as the not good one.

Attachments

• IMG_0005a.jpg
    IMG_0005a.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN6986a.jpg
    DSCN6986a.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Good for you, at least in this test shot you have a convincing winner!

There can be two reasons for the size difference: you might want to look for increasing the file size in the canon to avoid too much jpg compression (often set to medium by default in canon P&S cams), but conversely, non-sharp pictures often produce larger jpgs than sharp pictures.

Niels

Exactly--that should be sharp! One would think a Nikon would be a much higher quality. I have a similar shot of a Yellow-headed Caracara. The bird is in focus but there is just a lack of sharpness. I think I would have been happier with a K-mart special. Oh well, live and learn.
Sue

Hi, Sue.

Do you do any post-processing on your pictures?

I hope you don't mind, but I had a quick play with your yellow-headed caracara in Photoshop.

Not great, but I think it's an improvement on the original.

I agree with you that you would expect something better out of camera, but at least you have something you can work with.

Regards,

Malcolm

Attachments

• new yellow-headed Caracara.jpg
    new yellow-headed Caracara.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 169
Had a little time outside today to play around. Unfortunately it's a blustery dark day.

Still learning the features of the Canon SX30 but I have found how to set it to center focus and all.

Here is a guy at my feeder. All the shots were in-focus. I expect that had I been using the Nikon a good 80% would have focused on the leaf in front or the bush in back.

We also spent an hour at the local park and this swan was a nice target.

Overall the overwhelming number of shots are focusing correctly vs the Nikon would have been a frustration.

Attachments

• IMG_0076aa.jpg
    IMG_0076aa.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0097a.jpg
    IMG_0097a.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 139
Nice and bright this morning. I took a 5 minute wander out back and heard this guy up in the trees. Finally spotted him and took the shot at maximum zoom, center spot focus.

Canon SX30. I took two shots. Both were well focused. He moved in the other one. This is the good one.

I do not believe that the Nikon would have done it.

Attachments

• IMG_0114aa.jpg
    IMG_0114aa.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 188
I agree with Malcolm, The hawk just needed some PP work needed. The shot was excellent

I did similar PP to Mal, but calmed down the large bright bar running down the right hand side, for less distraction.

Crazy, that woodpecker ? ( not familiar with US birds ) is a beauty. Lovely shot

Attachments

• yellow-headed Caracara.jpg
    yellow-headed Caracara.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 113
Crazy, that woodpecker ? ( not familiar with US birds ) is a beauty. Lovely shot

Thanks. It's called a red-bellied woodpacker because of a slightly orange belly. Kinda strange given it can sometimes be hard to tell it has an orangeish belly. I'd have called it a red-topped woodpacker if I had the power. The name Red-headed woodpecker is already in use by another woodpecker.

Last edited:
Thanks. It's called a red-bellied woodpacker because of a slightly orange belly. Kinda strange given it can sometimes be hard to tell it has an orangeish belly. I'd have called it a red-topped woodpacker if I had the power. The name Red-headed woodpecker is already in use by another woodpecker.

Problem is there are several similar woodpeckers with similar names, Red-crowned_Woodpecker is also already in use

Niels

You guys could consider updating to the latest firmware to see if Nikon has hidden some improved focusing in there: https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48816

Niels

I figured I'd try even though I have my new camera. Doesn't work. I did go to the Americas website to start off so it's not a regional version issue.

Following all the instructions the Nikon does not recognize that there is new firmware on the SD card as it should.

The instructions say that if that happens, "contact your Nikon representative".

Who knows, maybe my P100 is defective...

I might bother to do it. Might not.

I tried again today to get the Nikon to notice that it had a firmware update in the SD card to gulp down but it still wouldn't do it.

Oh well, one last sample from the Canon SX30.

The cardinal was up near the top of an ash tree. This was again taken with maximum zoom. I took 8 shots. Every single one was in focus. I cropped it but have not otherwise edited it.

Attachments

• IMG_0147a.jpg
    IMG_0147a.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 223
It is pretty clear you are happy with your purchase, good for you!

Niels

Thanks. I am happy. I haven't really had the chance to take any photos other than extreme range. I do hope that more moderate zooms in good light will yield crisper photos than the ones I've posted. But the improvement over the Nikon at these high zooms has been drastic.

I don't know where SueO is but she might appreciate this one. The Canon SX30 was able to focus though the foreground clutter, again max zoom, and cropped down a good deal.

Not bad for a point-n-shoot sensor attached to a humongous lens.

Attachments

• IMG_0289a.jpg
    IMG_0289a.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back