• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vote for the best "looking" binocular (1 Viewer)

newfie ghost

Forget about optics, rolling ball and focusers, resolution, edge sharpness, color for once.

What do you think is the best externally looking binocular?

I have trouble picking one so here's my list

Leica trinovid in green- like a tank

Habicht 8x30 porro- old school clean

Others?

Wow look at this ugly duckling:

http://www.optics.arizona.edu/antiques/telescope/Catalogue/B34/B34.htm

Attachments

• leica.jpg
    leica.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Swarovski Habicht 8x30 svart.jpg
    Swarovski Habicht 8x30 svart.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Two models immediately come to mind. I like the looks of the Weaver Grandslam 8x32 and the one Bushnell Elite model. Both look classy.

Attachments

• 821389.jpg
    821389.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 41W3C62XP8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41W3C62XP8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 115
Roof Prism

Frank .... You are a man of exquisite taste when it comes to your selection of the Bushnell Elite dual hinge! The whole dual hinge line is well done, but it looks the best in the 43mm series.

They have that understated European styling that gives a class look. I like how they used the two shades of gray/charcoal color to off-set each other. The lines and the color just flow into one another. The styling fits in with the physical properties. The balance and feel of the 43mm series is as good as any binocular I've had. The 12.5 is not too shabby either.

A most excellent nomination for a roof prism! :t:

EDIT:

Thought I should add that for whatever reason, Bushnell thought it would be a good idea to change the covering of the 43mm series for the last year of production (approx 2009). They added grip pads and finger bars. I do not know why because there was no problem gripping with the prior covers. I think it cluttered up the original design (which already had thumb indents for Brock!). I added a picture of the revised version so you can decide if it hurt the looks.

Pictured: Bushnell Elite 12.5X50 and a 10X43; the 2nd version with new covers

Attachments

• Bushnell Elite Set.jpg
    Bushnell Elite Set.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 299
  • Bushnell Elite 43mm.jpg
    Bushnell Elite 43mm.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Porro Prism

My porro nomination is the Bushnell Custom.

I really think there has to be a distinction between the roof prism and the porro prism binoculars since there is such a difference in the style.

Not to offend Brock or Frank, but due to the nature of the Porro prism, I have not found many that I would call good looking. Seems most manufacturers never go past the practical aspects of the design even though some do a great job of displaying that classic style.

The long gone Bushnell Custom took porro styling to the next level. It was offered in the 1960's and I believe came in a 7X35 and a 9X36. It actually looks somewhat like a roof to me. Besides great styling, it was an excellent binocular for that period. It still offers a great view, both optically and physically.

Here is a Bushnell Custom 9X36 after 40 years of use.

Attachments

• Bushnell Custom 9X36.jpg
    Bushnell Custom 9X36.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 184
Wow looks great for 40! The design is very modern looking too.

My porro nomination is the Bushnell Custom.

I really think there has to be a distinction between the roof prism and the porro prism binoculars since there is such a difference in the style.

Not to offend Brock or Frank, but due to the nature of the Porro prism, I have not found many that I would call good looking. Seems most manufacturers never go past the practical aspects of the design even though some do a great job of displaying that classic style.

The long gone Bushnell Custom took porro styling to the next level. It was offered in the 1960's and I believe came in a 7X35 and a 9X36. It actually looks somewhat like a roof to me. Besides great styling, it was an excellent binocular for that period. It still offers a great view, both optically and physically.

Here is a Bushnell Custom 9X36 after 40 years of use.

How do you folks get your hands on the forbidden fruit (at least in the US)?

A few years ago a stash of new old-stock EIIs and SEs showed up at a dealer, so I nabbed one. There are probably still some out there being used, or for sale here and there on *bay, but I suspect many are gathering dust.

My local Audubon shop told me they used to sell "lots of those" 10 years ago, yet I have yet to see another one in the field.

I think they have a certain modernist elegance. Now those Weavers, those are post-modern!

David

Ditto on the Zeiss classics! Though the trinnies always appealed to me my vote is for the Swarovski slc's, old style armor! The 8x30 slc & 7x30's just have that look that appeals to me! Nothing fancy excellent armor to touch smooth lines, they just feel and look right!

Roofs: Leica Ultravids and the original Swarovski 42 EL's!

Porros: Nikon EII 8x30 and Swift 804 Audubon

....my vote is for the Swarovski slc's, old style armor! The 8x30 slc & 7x30's just have that look that appeals to me! Nothing fancy excellent armor to touch smooth lines, they just feel and look right!

Agreed- those mid to late '90s and early 2000's SLC's just exude class and appeal. It's as if they look back at you and say- "Yeah, I'm Sexy and I know it"

I love my 7x30 SLC (1999)

I fancy the simple elegance of the theron LT 8x32 (shown on the right)

The much much lauded SIGHTRON can turn heads for opposite reasons...

Excellent nomination on the Theron Wapiti LT 32mm! It is a very clean design with nice lines along with understated shades of grey. The much more cluttered design of the Sightron can be an "acquired taste". :eat:

The styling differences between the two is much more apparent than what appears in the picture.

Attachments

• Theron vs Sightron.jpg
    Theron vs Sightron.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 175
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back