• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the best roof in the world better optically than the best porro? (1 Viewer)

Good points. I've used several binoculars over the years for stars, and they are all better than no bins at all. For the last 3 yrs. my most used pair for night skies has been my ZRS 10x42, which allow viewing of many deep sky objects, but which are also great for birds and game (we have a place we go in the country with lots of wildlife and very black skies at night). I bought some Action Extreme 10x50s awhile back, and although they were great for stargazing, they were too big and heavy for carrying for hours afield. There are indeed many binoculars that seem fine for both terrestrial and astronomy use, and in a rucksack or backpack I'd rather carry one pair than two.
IS just creates artifacts. Grew tired of those on the Canon IS. The Canons are kind of in the "Dead Zone" when it comes to contrast compared to the alphas. They just don't make the bird come alive like the SV's. The "Best birding binoculars in the World."

Last edited:
Good points. I've used several binoculars over the years for stars, and they are all better than no bins at all. For the last 3 yrs. my most used pair for night skies has been my ZRS 10x42, which allow viewing of many deep sky objects, but which are also great for birds and game (we have a place we go in the country with lots of wildlife and very black skies at night). I bought some Action Extreme 10x50s awhile back, and although they were great for stargazing, they were too big and heavy for carrying for hours afield. There are indeed many binoculars that seem fine for both terrestrial and astronomy use, and in a rucksack or backpack I'd rather carry one pair than two.
Yes, those big Action Extreme's work good for Astro use don't they. Thse big 50mm apertures are almost like a small 60mm Refractor telescope.

Finally, you just proved what we all for the most part knew! It has nothing to do with birding, nature or even optics in general. It's all about YOU!!! Bryce...

Dennis employs what is known as ''flame-baiting'' and it is discouraged on most internet forums. Here, it just seems to be par for the course.

I could ''pull a Dennis'' and start threads with titles like '' All Swaro's are junk!'' or '' Alpha owners are better birders'' and collect a fine assortment of views and responses, but the entire discussion wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

Of course, if all you are interested in is stirring the pot, then these threads have been very successful, if not entirely useless.

It would be best if everyone just didn't post in threads like this... and even better if they wouldn't be started at all!

Dennis employs what is known as ''flame-baiting'' and it is discouraged on most internet forums. Here, it just seems to be par for the course.

I could ''pull a Dennis'' and start threads with titles like '' All Swaro's are junk!'' or '' Alpha owners are better birders'' and collect a fine assortment of views and responses, but the entire discussion wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

Of course, if all you are interested in is stirring the pot, then these threads have been very successful, if not entirely useless.

Couldn't agree more James, Bryce...

If you don't like Dennis' threads then it's quite simple to NOT REPLY. Based on your aforementioned comments, I will confidently assume that your numerous replies to a meaningless thread are, in themselves, meaningless.

There's also a somewhat effective IGNORE feature available. I think a combination of DO NOT REPLY and IGNORE would significantly reduce your stress levels.

Happy Birding!

If you don't like Dennis' threads then it's quite simple to NOT REPLY. Based on your aforementioned comments, I will confidently assume that your numerous replies to a meaningless thread are, in themselves, meaningless.

There's also a somewhat effective IGNORE feature available. I think a combination of DO NOT REPLY and IGNORE would significantly reduce your stress levels.

Happy Birding!

Confidently assume? If that's aimed at me please point out my numerous replies to this meaningless thread? And yep Ignore is easy, I have found it very useful! As to stress levels, nah i'm pretty laid back! Thanks for your concern! :) Bryce...

. If you ignore the silliness in these threads, and unfortunately in some cases there is too much of it, then some of the remaining comments are quite useful.

As many people say, it would be better if threads were started with well judged intentions.

But I also try to be laid back, and if I find anything bothersome I probably wouldn't read it further.

The Internet is indeed a very strange place and I'm glad I didn't join for many years.
But slowly I try to benefit from it and ignore as much of the negativity as I can.

I still find it utterly amazing that more than half of the people in the street seem to be surgically attached to their electronic devices and their headphones and they walk along the street next to their so-called friends completely ignoring the friends and talking into cyberspace.

What about leaving these crazy devices at home and enjoying the fresh air and actually looking at what is around you.

As to the approximately 50% of motorists talking on their handheld mobile phones or even not handheld there is a simple solution. If they are photographed talking on their phones take their driving licences away firstly for three months then six months then permanently.
at least that will prevent their 2 1/2 ton Toyota land cruisers with one baby in the back from mowing down pedestrians as they turn the corner with one hand and have the other hand on their mobile phone.

And I have even seen motorists with two mobile devices one in each hand while attempting to steer at the same time.

I suppose eventually we will grow extra hands to cope with this.

A very strange world we live in nowadays.

I enjoy a bit of banter, I think Dennis does as well, we all know how fickle his love for his latest binocular is, and I love the way he digs a fresh hole for himself with each new thread he starts.

I`d hate to ignore his threads, they`re a hoot.

I enjoy a bit of banter, I think Dennis does as well, we all know how fickle his love for his latest binocular is, and I love the way he digs a fresh hole for himself with each new thread he starts.

I`d hate to ignore his threads, they`re a hoot.

I glad I didn't ignore his posts! He was right at least one time! Particularly on this one about the Nikon EDG he posted on June 24, 2012.

" ........ It's the EDG you want. I'm telling you it's the perfect binocular. Expensive true but as close to perfection as you can get. Just like a Swiss Watch(Patek Phillipe)."

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2473168&postcount=2

Way to go Dennis!:t: Thumbs up to you! I almost missed that one!

I'll start ignoring them now!:king:

Bob

Patek Phillipe! Wow!:clap:|:D|

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back