• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Window safety/basic first aid (1 Viewer)

Evening folks...

Just wondering if a) there is anything you can do/put on windows to stop birds flying into them like a poor little baby starling did today. I tried everything to help it but to no avail he died in my hands....

and b) are there any basic first aid tips or things we can do when it does happen if they do have a chance?

It's been happening more now that the summer is upon us, I imagine cos there is a big window either side of our living room they think they can go straight through with their eyesight.

Thanks in advance for any help, in the meantime i'll just have to have windows wide open as often as possible!

Chris

Hi,

As you suggest, this is a particular problem with young birds seeing an apparent through-route. Bird of Prey silhouette window stickers are readily available from Amazon, RSPB etc and are effective at keeping birds away from windows. An alternative is to keep the curtains partly closed so the birds cannot see a direct route.

The best First Aid measure is probably to put the injured bird in a well-ventilated box and keep it somewhere dark, warm and quiet for a few hours to allow it to recover. Sadly, there's no guarantee the bird will recover, it all depends on the extent of the injuries, but it's always worth a try.

Cheers

I have CollidEscape CE Standard White on my three rear windows.

Before I installed the layover film I had daily strikes, sometime multiple strikes; a sicking feeling hearing the thud and knowing a bird may be seriously injured, I hated it. In the year they've been installed I've had no strikes.

The CE Standard White covering, for me, worked best. You can see out but you can't see in during daylight hours. It's hot in my part of Texas, the white covering reduced the surface area and reflects the heat, that was a plus.

There's a downside to CE Standard White which maybe a concern for you; you can see out but you can't take pictures through your window. It's not conducive to viewing wildlife. You can see and identified what's at your feeders but you'll need an additional area for viewing. I have that, so purchasing and installing the coverings was an easy decision.

The website says they ship worldwide and a note on the top right corner says "The team will be in Europe for Conferences the last week of May." That said they may have something local for you.

I did not order from the website menu. I emailed them, gave them my window dimensions, they emailed back with a quote on pre-cut coverings and attached a link with a pdf invoice and payment options.

As for the injured birds....sometimes they just knock themselves out and recover in a short period of time, or so it seems. Injuries beyond that, you do the best you can and seek help with a license rehab-er as needed.

Good luck my friend..!!

Some years ago, I heard that sickening thud from one of the rear windows in my parents' house in Oxfordshire. I looked out to see a Common Starling that had hit the window having fled from a marauding Eurasian Sparrowhawk that had then taken advantage of the starling's mistake and was busy taking it apart on the patio! There wasn't much to be done for it after that!

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the responses guys, all very helpful.

And yeah it's just becoming a bit too common... the baby starling this morning was alive for a few minutes in my hand before going peacefully.... I layed her on the grass for a mere minute whilst I went to get the spade to bury her, and then mr crow came and flew off with her!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, I'm currently checking out the filming, and in the meantime have put up some of those door tassels that keep flies out so the birds can't see directly through.

Gonna steer clear of the bird of prey stickers as I imagine they would just stop the birds from coming in the garden also!

Chris

Gonna steer clear of the bird of prey stickers as I imagine they would just stop the birds from coming in the garden also!

To be honest, I don't think they do. I've seen plenty of nature reserves where there are bird of prey window stickers right next to feeders that are being actively used.

Hi Chris

We have a problem window in our kitchen and tried several different ideas - including the BOP stickers - but were still getting bird strikes. We finally solved it by attaching a length of wood across the top of the window with strings spaced every 3-4 inches, we put wine corks on the ends (no shortage of them here;)). Sort of like one of those Aussie outback hats - it looks a bit strange but it did the trick - and I can still take photos between them.

Cheers

Phil

Again thanks for the further responses... and interesting regarding the BOP stickers i felt sure they would put some of the birds off!

There is also no shortage of wine corks here! That sounds like a great plan and will try hanging them down from the curtain railings.

Sorry Chris

I didn't make myself too clear - I put the strings on the outside of the window. But they may work on the inside too - worth a try if it's easier.

Cheers

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back