• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Zeisses still in use today (1 Viewer)

Thanks for your replies gentlemen!

Arthur, I've never looked through the famous 7x50B, but this must be one of the great classics most regularly used today. I've used other 7x50s at sea and have been impressed by the format - I would like to get one for this purpose, but the Zeiss version will likely be beyond my budget. Do you primarily use yours for stargazing, and does the 7x magnification have enough penetration for New York skies? Your tripod-mounted 15x60 would be quite the weapon if there were peregrines or redtails perching within line of sight of your Manhattan window!

Hello,

I bought the 7x50 but I never came up with money for the yacht. Of course, the 7x50 is not ideal for New York skies, but air pollution, if not light pollution, has been reduced of late. Clear wintry nights and a nearby dark spot allow me some use of the binocular. I have had some use of the large binocular when Peregine falcons visited a neighbouring block of flats.

Soon, my 8x32 FL will join the ranks of outmoded Zeiss binoculars.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

Tripod adapter for Zeiss, West German 15x60

Hello,

I have Zeiss binocular which must be mounted on a tripod, the 15x60 BT*. I have never used it for bird watching, but it would be wonderful in a hide. As is,
do use if for astronomy. The fit and finish is of the highest quality, making it resemble a scientific instrument. Before it was discontinued, it was marketed to European hunters, who like to work from platforms, a fixed position.

Stay safe.
Arthur :hi:

Hello Pinewood, can you help me please?
I’ve very recently bought a pair of old but excellent condition Zeiss 15x60 and I would like to be able to put them on a tripod, but it’s a minefield out there with regards to tripods, heads and adapters.
What are you using please for your tripod set up. Your Binoculars are very similar looking to mine and I think that your adapter may be okay for me. I am new to this
Best regards

Attachments

• DF26608B-5984-40B3-BBF0-85892F13B2B4.jpeg
    DF26608B-5984-40B3-BBF0-85892F13B2B4.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 67
Hello all
I have two pairs of Zeiss 7x50B and one pair has a yellow tint. I’ve been informed that they were manufactured like this. Something to do with contrast. I have to say that with these on a bright day that it’s easier on the eye.
Does anybody know anything about the yellow tinting. I’ve also read that it may be an age thing, but it looks to even and consistent in both lenses.
The other pair are the normal lenses.
I am new to this
Best regards
Marko

I’ve very recently bought a pair of old but excellent condition Zeiss 15x60 and I would like to be able to put them on a tripod, but it’s a minefield out there with regards to tripods, heads and adapters.
What are you using please for your tripod set up. Your Binoculars are very similar looking to mine and I think that your adapter may be okay for me. I am new to this
Lovely! I used to have one of these myself. You want an adapter that clamps onto the central hinge. The best of these available new is probably the Nikon #7806 (made for the SE series), and there must still be cheaper or older ones too.

Last edited:
Hello Pinewood, can you help me please?
Best regards

Hello Islandboy,

I actually bought the Zeiss adapter which is clamped on to the center rod. I think that a platform style adapter might work well but not the Cardoza(?). I doubt that the Nikon "sandal" could accommodate it. The 15x60 is a big, heavy glass so nothing flimsy works well.

Yours is a good question for the "cloudynights" binocular forum. Those binocular astronomers like big glasses.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I'll second tenex's recommendation of the Nikon 7806 clamp, expensive but extremely rigid. I just tried mine on a Zeiss Oberkochen 10x50, which I think has the same hinge as the 15x60. Fits perfectly.

I still use this Zeiss

Hello,

I still use the Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 ClassiC. It is not a true internally focussing glass. Rather the objectives move in the barrels. It is a little peculiar as the dioptre settings at the bottom of the central axis opposite the regular focussing knob. It is a fine glass but the close focussing would disappoint many today. Mine was bought about fifteen years, ago, as a close out. N.B. the "150 Jahre" inscription, so it was a special edition.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Attachments

• 8x30 Zeiss.JPG
    8x30 Zeiss.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 87
I bought this 12x50B Nobilem a couple of years back, but it saw quite limited use until this year, when the closure of two of my favourite spots meant that I started putting more effort closer to home. Two of the locations I started putting in more time require scanning for birds at long distances (often over one mile). For this job the 12x50B is in its element. Used from a seated position I can get it steady enough by bracing my elbows on my knees, and I find that the distant targets I'm searching for register more easily to my eyes with 12x magnification than 8x or even 10x, thanks to their simply being larger.

In use this binocular is somewhat quirky compared to a modern roof design, the focus wheel in particular being not exactly easy to reach thanks to the huge prisms (Holger Merlitz mentions the exact same thing in his write-up about the same binocular). Apart from that it is not too different to the Zeiss West 10x50 in use and seems similarly stable, possibly because the rubber eyecups help keep it steady to my face. Although nominally a 'B' model, eye relief is insufficient for me to use it with glasses, but in use this is rarely an issue. The rubber eyecups are most comfortable and block off side light extremely well, making for a most immersive view - I wish the 10x50 had them. This model is more compact than the later longer-bodied Nobilem and has a slightly wider field of view; I suspect the older T3M coatings are not quite as good as the later model, but are good enough, better than the single-layer coatings on the 10x50 Oberkochen. There is a slight greenish cast to the image which I'm not enamoured by, but which I can live with. Sharpness is good and this binocular seems to eliminate the astigmatism in my right eye that manifests itself slightly in the 10x50, though this may be primarily due to the 12x magnification. Edge performance is reasonable.

I had a bit of buyer's regret after purchasing this binocular, but it's now found a valuable niche. I've actually come to prefer it (for that specific spot anyway) to my brother's 10x56 SLC, which although noticeably superior optically, is heavier and less handy.

PS. Since my last post I've continued to use the 10x50 a lot. I have to say the more I use it the more I find myself liking and admiring this old masterpiece. Bright summer sun blasts through the 1960s era coatings (there are times I'm actually grateful for the edge being taken off dazzling white clouds) and there are some light conditions and times of the day when it just seems to work beautifully well. I would still, of course, prefer if it was multi-coated, and also if it had similar rubber eyecups to the 12x50B (or indeed the 10x40 Dialyt). I did order a pair of aftermarket rubber eyecups, but they didn't fit well to the existing eyecups. If I were more handy with a lathe I'd machine a new set of eyecups.

The 10x50 has a bit of the yellow cast Islandboy mentions in his 7x50B (but less so than the 8x30 I also have) and although on a bright day it acts a bit like sunglasses, in greyish light the yellow cast becomes more noticeable. On balance I would rather the image be as colour neutral as it is on eg. my Leitz Binuxit or Swift Holiday of roughly similar vintage.

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_160913_01.jpg
    IMG_20200514_160913_01.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200518_150816_01.jpg
    20200518_150816_01.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200518_161157_01.jpg
    20200518_161157_01.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I am using my Zeiss 10x40B/GA T* Dialyt for 34 years now. I am not sure it was 1985 or 1986 but it still is a very fine binocular. Swarovski NL 10x42 on order now, but I will keep the Zeiss.

Since my last post I've continued to use the 10x50 a lot. I have to say the more I use it the more I find myself liking and admiring this old masterpiece. Bright summer sun blasts through the 1960s era coatings (there are times I'm actually grateful for the edge being taken off dazzling white clouds) and there are some light conditions and times of the day when it just seems to work beautifully well. I would still, of course, prefer if it was multi-coated, and also if it had similar rubber eyecups to the 12x50B (or indeed the 10x40 Dialyt).

If it was multi-coated, it would beat most modern roofs no problem. Large field of view with a good sweetspot, very high resolution in the centre. One of the great binoculars of the 20th century.

BTW, if you ever come across a Zeiss West 8x50B porro, that's another interesting binocular. I prefer it over the 7x50/7x50B of similar vintage, the modern versions of the 7x50B have much better coatings of course.

My 8x50B has slightly more modern coatings than the 10x50. Better in low light and when viewing against the light better than either of the three 8x30 porros (8x30 [150m/1000m], 8x30B [110m/1000m] , 8x30B [130m/1000m]). All three 8x30s have some veiling glare in difficult light. Of the 8x30s I like the old wideangle version best, despite it's slight yellow cast.

Hermann

Last edited:
Rolf and I were just out this morning on the yacht for a morning look at the swans on the lake. The Zeiss 7X50B seemed like a most appropriately nautical and elegant choice so I grabbed it on the way out the door on the way to the dock.

Stephanie

Attachments

• IMG_4017.jpg
    IMG_4017.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 106
  • ZEISS 7X50B-IMG_4008.jpg
    ZEISS 7X50B-IMG_4008.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 64
But Rolf was so enamored with the view that he was monopolizing the 7X50B which was really testing my patience. Fortunately in time, I remembered that I had left the 8X50B in the cabin yesterday and was relieved to still find it there but the skipper had become fond of it and was quite disappointed to part with it.

Stephanie

Attachments

• ZEISS-8X50B-IMG_4012.jpg
    ZEISS-8X50B-IMG_4012.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 54
I think it's not exactly what you were asking for, but Prague Astronomical Observatory has still uses a Zeiss telescope made in 1907 for public viewing (it's open for visitors almost daily). It even has two tubes, but you would have to be about 10x enlarged compared to a common human to be able to use it as a binocular :)

Using the Zeiss 8X50B then reminded me that the view was even better than with the 7X50B due to the wider AFOV and convenient center focus. The 8X50B is nicely usable with eyeglasses unlike the 10X50 which I never acquired due to the shorter eye relief.

The 1960's Zeiss Oberkochen porro binoculars are some of the most beautiful binocular designs even by today's standards and the build quality still impresses. Attached are some quick phone pics of the 1963 brochure from Carl Zeiss Inc, New York that I received in the mail as teenager. It was many years later before I could afford to buy some Zeiss binoculars and thanks to Ebay I was able to get the nice 7X50B and 8X50B examples.

Stephanie

Attachments

• ZEISS-1963-IMG_4020.jpg
    ZEISS-1963-IMG_4020.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 80
  • ZEISS-1963-IMG_4021.jpg
    ZEISS-1963-IMG_4021.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 57
  • ZEISS-1963-IMG_4022.jpg
    ZEISS-1963-IMG_4022.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 53
Rolf and I were just out this morning on the yacht for a morning look at the swans on the lake. The Zeiss 7X50B seemed like a most appropriately nautical and elegant choice so I grabbed it on the way out the door on the way to the dock.

Stephanie

Stephanie

What a lucky escape you had! Isn't that seagull-poo on the rug next to your left hip?

Lee
The image below does not want to enlarge so to view the poo go to post 51 and click on the same image there!

Attachments

• IMG_4017.jpg
    IMG_4017.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 358
About two days ago I was trying to view comet Neowise.

I wasn't sure if it was visible or where it was.

I couldn't find it in the 10x42P Bausch and Lomb Elite.

So I tried the Zeiss 15x60 c.1965 completely overhauled by Zeiss.
The veiling glare from the white LED street light is terrible.
I was surprised at how bad the Zeiss 15x60 is near a street light.
The Elite is far far better.

Incidentally, a maroon car under the street light looked a very odd colour, so these lights are not as good at colours as I initially thought.

On the Moon and nearby Mars the Zeiss 15x60 is very good. I may have seen Mars disc I'll check the current angular size.

B.

Stephanie

What a lucky escape you had! Isn't that seagull-poo on the rug next to your left hip?

Lee
The image below does not want to enlarge so to view the poo go to post 51 and click on the same image there!

Oh yes dear, I am sure. But do I look worried? Not at all, these things happen in the wild you know. You see I was careful not to sit on the deposit.

Stephanie

I am very fond of these 3 Zeiss advertising posters that hang in my office for my day to day enjoyment. Especially the one that shows Rolf and I on the yacht.

Stephanie

Attachments

• ZEISS-7X50-P3-IMG_4026.jpg
    ZEISS-7X50-P3-IMG_4026.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 67
  • ZEISS-P1-8X30-IMG_4024.jpg
    ZEISS-P1-8X30-IMG_4024.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 79
  • ZEISS-P2-8X30-IMG_4025.jpg
    ZEISS-P2-8X30-IMG_4025.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Oh yes dear, I am sure. But do I look worried? Not at all, these things happen in the wild you know. You see I was careful not to sit on the deposit.

Stephanie

Glad to hear it Stephanie and of course we accept your word that you didn't, in fact, sit on something worse.

Happy yachting!

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back