• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Open message to Zeiss: Conquest eyecups (1 Viewer)

Chotacabras

Dear Zeiss

I've had a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x32s for a couple of years. They're lovely binoculars in most respects, of course: but they have a major flaw, namely that the eyecups are made of a plastic material that breaks. It's happened twice to me, without major impacts or other stresses. The eyecups have been replaced free of charge by Zeiss, which is excellent, of course. But meanwhile the binoculars are essentially unusable for a few weeks. It could happen during a trip, and you'd be without binoculars.

Have you considered producing stronger metal versions of the eyecups (in normal and long form)? I for one would be happy to pay 30 or 40 dollars for better eyecups: we could share the cost, so to speak.

It's such a shame: the binoculars are otherwise excellent. I have a 30-year-old pair of Trinovid 8x42s, and they're still in essentially perfect condition both optically and mechanically. We should expect the same from Zeiss, right?

I don't really think metal is necessary. Zeiss FL had composite eyecups (not surprising given the body construction) yet one doesn't hear about them breaking, or the rubber coming off (which seems the more common complaint). So this is just a design problem on Conquest.

Zeiss don't run this forum, so you may want to address this request directly to them.

I don't really think metal is necessary. Zeiss FL had composite eyecups (not surprising given the body construction) yet one doesn't hear about them breaking, or the rubber coming off (which seems the more common complaint). So this is just a design problem on Conquest.

Zeiss don't run this forum, so you may want to address this request directly to them.
Thanks Tenex. Yes, agree, not necessarily metal, that was just a shorthand: a better plastic might be fine. I know Zeiss doesn't run the forum, but perhaps they look :)

James, you're very possibly right that the problem is about more than just the eyecup part. But I don't suppose Zeiss is happy about it: I imagine it's frustrating that they messed up a supposedly super-durable product with a not-durable component. Also, my hinge has gone loose (not self-fixable), and that never happened in 30 years of Trinovid BA. So I've lost trust in Zeiss reliability. [Though certainly, I can't be sure that modern Trinovid HD reliability equals that of 1990s BAs. Conversely, and to be fair, it's possible that SFLs are much better built than Conquests.]

Last edited:
It’s the entire construction…from very stiff movement between stops, to poor quality rubber that deforms from use. I’m sure it’s a cost / benefit thing that Zeiss is happy with, unfortunately.
Not so sure. Im skeptical this is a cost/benefit thing they're happy with. Suspect its a bit more complicated. It may have at the outset, been a cost choice, without understanding the long term implications of the eyecup material to owners... sorta like Swaros armor problems, but then whoops! Prob for us is companies can't do all the things necessary, all the time, immediately, to take care of what we think they should zactly when. Other priorities, which only Zeiss can know will prevail.

I agree, metal not necessary. Other brands/models seem to work well without metal. As well, I get Chotacabras, how you meant it.

Re Zeiss doesn't run this forum, I bet thats so, to. Ive wondered though... never seen any conversation re this. Seems there might be more of a relationship with Zeiss than is explicitly acknowledged.

Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 7.59.33 AM.png

How in the world can you break an eyecup ?
Jerry
They are made of very weak plastic material and the detents easily strip. This renders them with very little resistance to remain in position. Happened to me with SF and SFL — fall from the car seat to the carpeted floor was enough of an impact to cause it. Pity! I consider it a design flaw in otherwise excellent binoculars.

@NDhunter: In my case (it has happened twice) an eyecup has cracked edge-to-edge, so unusable. (In fact, even when they work they don't work very well: "highest lock position" always wants to become "eyecup unscrewed".) I'm talking about Conquests, and I note that I need and use the Zeiss-supplied long eyecups: it might be worse with these. AlphaFan has mentioned higher-ranking models but I don't know if there are analogous issues with those products.

BTW - Zeiss already redesigned the SF eyecups to use an upgraded / more durable material. They may be slightly better but I’ve gone through a few of them as well. While Zeiss always replaces them when asked it is frustrating and should not be the case with premium optics. Conversely, the eyecups in my several FL specimens are quite robust and I’ve never had any issues with them.

@NDhunter:............... : "highest lock position" always wants to become "eyecup unscrewed".) I'm talking about Conquests,..............................
Happens with SFL as well at times. The eyecups need to be tightened to a point where one feels like they might not "survive"

............... Conversely, the eyecups in my several FL specimens are quite robust and I’ve never had any issues with them.
Same here, never have had a problem with FL eyecups. Got a few replacements, but not because they would not work any more. Those replacements came when I sent in an FL for some reason other than the eyecups, and Zeiss just updated my FL with the newest model. I still think the FLs (x42) are great. (y) (But after the SFLs came out, I think they are too heavy for me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back