• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Mastermind Round 8 (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Here we go again.

the 4 main ones

Attachments

• 8.1.JPG
    8.1.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 8.2.JPG
    8.2.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 8.3.JPG
    8.3.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 8.4.JPG
    8.4.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 163
and the tie breaker...twice to prove the first wasn't a fluke

Attachments

• 8.5.JPG
    8.5.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 8.51.JPG
    8.51.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Not the easiest first ever post, but here's my effort:
1. ??
2. Caspian Tern
3. Short-toed Eagle
4. Slender-billed Gull
5. ??????
6. Common Scoter?

Last edited:
In addition to earlier:

1) Tree Pipit
2) Sandwich Tern at the back, Med Gull in front

Still don't know about the tiebreaker. Is it a bird? Is that a pair of evil looking eyes staring out in the 2nd picture?

1 Meadow Pipit
2 Little Gull (2 x early first-summer)
3 Black Kite
4 Black-headed Gull (methinks too much black ear spot for Slender-billed Gull)
5/6 Portuguese Man'o'war Jellyfish . . . nah, let's make a wild guess at Tufted Duck, bathing.

Michael

Brendan T said:
Not the easiest first ever post, but here's my effort:
1. ??
2. Caspian Tern
3. Short-toed Eagle
4. Slender-billed Gull
5. ??????
6. Common Scoter?

Brendan,

On behalf of admin and all the moderators, a very warm welcome to Bird Forum.

I agree your first post is something of a baptism of fire, but I couldn't even begin to guess whether or not you're correct! Some of these quizzes are well beyond my expertise, but it's a learning curve for all of us and I do enjoy these teasers.

We look forward to hearing more about the area in which you live and the birds you see. Why not say hello formally, telling us a bit about yourself, in the 'Say Hello' forum.

Bluethroat
Sandwich Tern
Red Kite
Slender-billed Gull
Slavonian Grebe

Jane, you're tempting to make me sort out some of my old slides which will make yours look much better in comparison!

Adey

1 Bluethroat
2 rear 1w Sandwich, front 1w Common Tern
3 Red Kite
4 BH Gull
5 Tufted Duck
6 GC Grebe

Thanks Jane for making my sunday at work pass so much quicker (if somewhat more frustratingly so at times!!!)

Just read that one is a vagrant. So I'll say no 2. Royal Terns. Never seen one but I know they are biggish, white, have black heads and hang about on beaches in America. The water looks distinctly American to me so therefore they have to be Royal Terns...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back