• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What model leitz is this? (2 Viewers)

The binocular looks to be either a 8x40 or 10x40 and the serial number gives the date of manufacture as 1978.

Gary,

I think you can eliminate the 8x40 based on its visibly longer eyepiece focal length. In the photos below notice the obviously narrower band containing the model information on the 10x40 eyepiece and compare it to the OP's photo.

Henry

Attachments

• DSC_0871.JPG
    DSC_0871.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC_0870.JPG
    DSC_0870.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
What model leitz is this

Leitz made a few 7x42's with some type of phase coating I believe.
My made in Portugal 7x42's had a phase coating of some sort and were sharper and brighter than other Leitz 7x42's, 8x40's and 10x40's I tried.
I heard that they made about 1,600 as an experiment, there was nothing externally to differentiate them from the "normal" 7x42's.
The Zeiss 7x42's of the same vintage seemed to be superior, incredible really.
The Leitz had a slight blue tinge to the optics but overall were very nice, light and easy to handle.
Sold them (stupid me), the guy that uses them now loves them and won't part with them.
He says he sees more with 7x42's than other see with their 10x40's.
Does anyone have any additional information, was I imagining things?
Art

Art,

If you still have access to that 7x42 you could test it for phase correction using a LCD computer screen and a polarizing filter or pair of polarizing sunglasses.

Even the non-phase corrected 7x42 can be manipulated into the equivalent of phase corrected performance by looking through it with your pupils placed a bit off-axis in bright light (probably either up or down from centered). The idea is to align the large exit pupils with your small stopped down eye pupils so that the roof edges don't split the small part of the exit pupil that is allowed to enter the eye.

Henry

Hi,

Look on "fleabay".

There are usually plenty of them for sale on there.

Hi Gary

Out of curiosity I had a look on fleabay but 'Leitz', 'Trinovid', 'Zeiss', or just 'binoculars' or any combination just brought up a 'no results' message.

Any further advice?

Thanks Lee

Leitz made a few 7x42's with some type of phase coating I believe.
My made in Portugal 7x42's had a phase coating of some sort and were sharper and brighter than other Leitz 7x42's, 8x40's and 10x40's I tried.
I heard that they made about 1,600 as an experiment, there was nothing externally to differentiate them from the "normal" 7x42's.
The Zeiss 7x42's of the same vintage seemed to be superior, incredible really.
The Leitz had a slight blue tinge to the optics but overall were very nice, light and easy to handle.
Sold them (stupid me), the guy that uses them now loves them and won't part with them.
He says he sees more with 7x42's than other see with their 10x40's.
Does anyone have any additional information, was I imagining things?
Art

Old thread sure, but in the interest of further study of these wonderfully "handy",...and dare i even say "sexy" early Leitz Trinovids,.... this post intrigued me enough to comment.

The reason is I own a slew of the Leitz Trinovids in various powers and configurations,....but ONE stands out among them all, and is VERY close to my Zeiss 8x30B G/A T*P phase coated binocular in overall sharpness.

My 7x35B Leitz (Portugal) Serial # 901905 is a certifiable standout among the rest of my Trinovid stable. Is it one of the few Phase Coated type 2 Trinovids wondered and talked about? I'm not sure, but may eventually try that "test" talked about in this tread,...but have no polarizing sunglasses at this time.

In good lighting, ....the deep bark sections of trees, edges of leaves, and bird feather detail stands OUT in crisp detail within the sweet spot (80% or so) central view. Several of my other Trinovids also have clean internals,...but they only get to within "close of sharp". (by modern roof bin, OR older porro standards :)

This one is in Near Mint condition with just a spec of black missing, with clear internal surfaces without the common gassing off lubricant fogging. I paid $450.00 off the bay about 10 years ago, and would have paid more if I'd known in advance how special it was.

I had it out again this morning at my local Burger King eatery, and before I went in to order I tossed out several handful of 15 grain Arnold bread to attract the various birds, and a few handfuls of Dry Roasted Almonds (NO Salt!) to attract the Squirrel regulars,... and Blue Jays which suck them down whole also with abandon! :)

IF it would focus just 4 or 5 feet closer, I'd sure use it a LOT more on these almost daily lunchtime forays into the urban jungle! Where I park my car to have access to easily toss and refill their edible bounty, there is a fair amount of action within 9-15 feet or so of me. The Zeiss allows me to see it all, the 7x35B maybe 75% of the viewable opportunities.

I'll know for sure, perhaps,....when it finally needs a service and I send it in to S.O.R. for their well known top notch work. One thing I know for sure already,.... it's already a joy to carry, handle, and USE at most distances.

Oh, and yeah,...it's "Sexy" too! :-O.

I don't doubt you can see birds through a Trinovid without phase-coatings. I also don't doubt the old Trinovids are "pleasant and usable".

But the optical quality isn't anywhere near that of a modern phase-coated roof, in no department. There are certainly some differences between the different models: The 7x35 and the 7x42 are undoubtedly the best of the lot, simply the detrimental effects of the missing phase-correction isn't quite so obvious at lowish magnification.

I know the Trinovid 10x40 and the old Zeiss 10x40BGA, both without phase-coatings, very well, and I wouldn't really use them for any serious birding anymore.

Hermann

Thought I should comment on the fact that I DO own another Leitz 7x35B , a Leitz 7x42, and a Leitz (Portugal) 7x42BA that's near mint with clear internals and with perfect outer lenses,....and NONE of them are as overall "Sharp" as my Serial # 901905 So while the general view is the 7x35 and a 7x42 Serial # 887392 Trinovid examples that were the best performers for their time,.... YET this one 7x35B still stands far above in near modern performance levels.

Last edited:
Old thread sure, but in the interest of further study of these wonderfully "handy",...and dare i even say "sexy" early Leitz Trinovids,.... this post intrigued me enough to comment.

YET this one 7x35B still stands far above in near modern performance levels.

Have you considered trying your "cherry" against the recent retro Leica Trinovod 7 x 35. That could be an intriguing comparison in terms of modern performance.

My 7x35B Leitz (Portugal) Serial # 901905 is a certifiable standout among the rest of my Trinovid stable. Is it one of the few Phase Coated type 2 Trinovids wondered and talked about? I'm not sure, but may eventually try that "test" talked about in this tread,...but have no polarizing sunglasses at this time.

Please, please, do; it shouldn't be too hard to find/borrow a polarizing filter in NY.

Has anyone ever found a Leitz (not Leica) Trinovid that had verifiably been phase-coated?

Hi,

I can confirm that my Leitz 7x42 is not. A polarizer in the form of passive 3d cinema glasses or polaroid sunglasses is often already available.

Hold the bins in front of a white LCD screen with the objective pointing to the observer. Then introduce the polarizer and slowly rotate it.

If the bins are not phase coated, a distinct separation of the white circle into a black and white half is visible in at least one position when rotating the polarizer. If just faint differences are visible, the bins are phase coated.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back