• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginning to acquire more vintage Leitz glasses, a long-time goal (2 Viewers)

Tristram

United States
Greetings from central mountain Arizona.

I found this place while looking for information on Leitz Trinovid serial numbers; nothing else on the web comes close to the information I discovered here.

Have just had my offer accepted for an early Trinovid 10x40 that I found on eBay (see attached picture). According to the table I found here (also attached) it would have to be one of the first ever made, in 1962. The seller is reputable and allows returns, so I can’t really lose. Having lived in Germany for over a decade, I am a huge fan of these older optics and their retro feel. This glass comes with the original case, too.

I sit outside with my dog every afternoon to see what I can see. There is a pair of great horned owls around here somewhere. I hear them at night, but have never spotted them.

My other binocular at the moment is a newer Trinovid 8x20 BCA, which has an odd chemical smell, seemingly permanent, after having been left too many times in my hot car. I would like to get hold of two more Trins: a 10x25 and an 8x32.

Looking forward to comments.

[reposted most of this from the Say Hello forum]

Attachments

• IMG_2201.jpeg
    IMG_2201.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2199.jpeg
    IMG_2199.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 49
Congratulations and welcome to BF.
You have bought a really nice glass. It is very light and provides an unusually wide FoV, 122m@1000m is better that the much praised Zeiss SF offers.
Not waterproof and not phase coated afaik, but well built enough to leave to your children.
Think it would also work well as an astronomy glass, which you're in the right place for.

Greetings from central mountain Arizona.

Have just had my offer accepted for an early Trinovid 10x40 that I found on eBay (see attached picture). According to the table I found here (also attached) it would have to be one of the first ever made, in 1962. The seller is reputable and allows returns, so I can’t really lose. Having lived in Germany for over a decade, I am a huge fan of these older optics and their retro feel. This glass comes with the original case, too.
What a nice find. I had a pair of Leitz 7x35B in the 1970s. Nothing I have since owned compares with them for sheer beauty and elegance -- an absolute joy to carry in the field. They surely were the alphas of their time.

The objective lens covers on your pair are not original but very nice -- perfect!! Look like the ones on my Swarovski SVs.

Your pair lacks rubber eyecups, which is an advantage since replacements are no longer available.

Thanks for sharing the photo.

The objective lens covers on your pair are not original but very nice -- perfect!! Look like the ones on my Swarovski SVs.

Your pair lacks rubber eyecups, which is an advantage since replacements are no longer available.
Yes, I wondered about the covers. Good to have them, in any case.

Are any aftermarket eyecups made to fit this glass?

Yes, I wondered about the covers. Good to have them, in any case.

Are any aftermarket eyecups made to fit this glass?
Your pair predates the later 'B' model that had foldable rubber eyecups. Perhaps someone with knowledge of your earlier version may have some advice.

Last edited:
My other binocular at the moment is a newer Trinovid 8x20 BCA, which has an odd chemical smell, seemingly permanent, after having been left too many times in my hot car. I would like to get hold of two more Trins: a 10x25 and an 8x32.

Tristam,

Looks like a beautiful example of an older Trinovid 10x40 congrats!

Unfortunate development with your 8x20 BCA.

On the Trinovid 10x25 you might consider a BC model rather than BCA. The BC version would be a nice complement to your 10x40.

Mike

About the 8x20 chemical smell, one of these solutions may help:
Cigarette smoke odor removal from classic leather Leitz 7x35b?
Thanks for that.

I kept them for too long in my glove compartment, to be ready for any avians or quadrupeds I might spot. (Occasionally I look at bipeds too, but they mostly disappoint.) The heat that develops in a car in summertime Arizona is what I assume triggered the offgassing. Does anyone here know what the upper temperature recommendation is? I’m sure I exceeded it.

Thing is, I have at least one friend whose chemical sensitivity would ban them from his presence.

This kind of thing is one reason I prefer older models with the leather “armor”. I’m careful with my equipment and can’t see needing a binocular designed to withstand a day of battle in Kherson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back