• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IPD and folks who own the Trinovid HD in 8x32... (1 Viewer)

sope0018

United States
I have a fairly narrow IPD. On most binoculars 58mm is fine for middle distances to infinity, but at closer distances (warbler season) I can start to detect some drop-off in sharpness and the sensation that my eyes are working too hard to merge the image. At 57mm that sensation mostly goes away at all distances except the very closest objects near the binoculars minimum focus distance, at which point closing the binocular down to 56mm or closer is the most comfortable. My "average" IPD seems like it's about 57mm, and this is measured using my 8x20 ultravid. I used the 8x20 because it has the ability to close down to very narrow IPDs for this test, and has a small exit pupil which probably helps with accurately assessing my IPD. On other models with larger exit pupils, I can get away with wider IPDs because of the more forgiving exit pupil diameter.

Anyway, I've actually chatted privately with a few folks on the forum on this topic and gotten some helpful responses, but its a fairly small sample size. Just for more data, I wanted to see if folks who have owned the Trinovid HD in 8x32 and also have a fairly narrow IPD near this model's stated minimum IPD setting of 58mm, get along with it.

Some things I've gathered already:
  • One user reports an IPD of 59mm and has no issues at all in field use with this model/format.
  • One user reports an IPD of 58mm and reports this binocular as fully usable, and that their model closes down to 57mm (probably due to a bit of sample variation) - as an aside I would bet that helps with close-focus a bit.
  • Other users also report the minimum IPD is usually 0.5 to 1mm lower than stated on this model.
  • I probably just need to try it for myself!

I'm going to guess this is probably a fairly small subset of users overall, as I don't see this particular model mentioned all that much. I'll say I'm interested in this model in particular and not interested in discussion of other models (all of which I'm aware of) in an attempt to keep the scope of the conversation fairly narrow. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back