• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP please abandoned robin fledgling? UK (1 Viewer)

mungogerry

Hello all,

I apologise if I am posting in the wrong area, this is my first post and I have joined this site looking for some pretty speedy advice.

I don't even know what country this is hosted by so I will start by saying that is it now half nine at night in the UK. At half 9 this morning my son came across a baby bird in our back garden. We have lots of mature trees with many nesting birds so we left alone, but kept an eye from a distance and hoped the parents would be nipping down to feed the fledgling. They have not.

Looking on the web it looks like a robin, and we do have robins nest in our garden so this is possible - although their nest is now empty so I can not return it there.

Baby birs is calling a lot and not really moving around to much although does have the odd hop a long and once I have seen it attempt to fly. It couldn't. I was worried that it hadn't eaten for quite a while so at 6pm I gave it a couple of live worms (maybe 2 inches each) with some tweezers. It didn't want any more.

So what do I do now? Do I put it in a box in the garden overnight so it can hear it's parents, but stay warm and safe (4 cats live next door) or do I just leave it alone to take its chances. Or do I do something else.

Many thanks for anyones advice,

Hello all,

I apologise if I am posting in the wrong area, this is my first post and I have joined this site looking for some pretty speedy advice.

I don't even know what country this is hosted by so I will start by saying that is it now half nine at night in the UK. At half 9 this morning my son came across a baby bird in our back garden. We have lots of mature trees with many nesting birds so we left alone, but kept an eye from a distance and hoped the parents would be nipping down to feed the fledgling. They have not.

Looking on the web it looks like a robin, and we do have robins nest in our garden so this is possible - although their nest is now empty so I can not return it there.

Baby birs is calling a lot and not really moving around to much although does have the odd hop a long and once I have seen it attempt to fly. It couldn't. I was worried that it hadn't eaten for quite a while so at 6pm I gave it a couple of live worms (maybe 2 inches each) with some tweezers. It didn't want any more.

So what do I do now? Do I put it in a box in the garden overnight so it can hear it's parents, but stay warm and safe (4 cats live next door) or do I just leave it alone to take its chances. Or do I do something else.

Many thanks for anyones advice,

Piccy here:

IMG_4308.jpg

Leave it where it is and its parents will find it and it will have a much better chance of survival in the wild. Its unlikely to be abandoned even if you cant see the parents about.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back